PhD, Associate Professor G.M. Ljdokova1
1Yelabuga Institute of Kazan Federal University, Yelabuga
Objective of the study was to analyze motivational agendas of junior (7-10 year-old) female ice hockey players (n=20) with the influences and contributions of their family members (n=20). The players’ social and psychological needs were studied within their motivational domains using the relevant questioning survey and test methods. Motivational domains of this age group are often determined nowadays by a variety of external influences. The players’ families more often than not appreciate the growing gravity and popularity of the modern ice hockey in the first place and consider the actual needs and expectations of their children in the second place. In the hierarchy of the family expectations, the daughters are generally viewed as the highly ambitious personalities reputable in the peer subcultures and respected by adults. The questioning survey data and analysis showed the female players being well socially adapted to both the school and ice hockey team environments. They report feeling comfortable in their classes, often praised by the class teachers, pleased by the team spirit in their ice hockey teams and competitive successes and having good support from the coaches. In their peer contacts, the female ice hockey players prefer playing with the same-sex children and tested to psychologically progress within the female type. The study found certain matches of a variety of social and psychological needs in the children and their families including the last for success; need for approval from the respected adults and peers; and the need in their uniqueness being recognized. Therefore, the study data were found to run counter to our prior assumption that the junior female ice hockey players might be in need of their ‘maleness’ being offset by the relevant social and psychological accommodation factors; face social problems in contacts with the same-sex peers and adults due to their higher demand for physical activity.
Keywords: women’s ice hockey, motivation, social and psychological needs, sport motivation.
- Bocharov S.D. Individualny podkhod kak psikhologo-pedagogicheskoe uslovie razvitiya spetsialnykh sposobnostey khokkeistov podrostkovogo vozrasta [Individual approach as psychological and pedagogical condition for development of special abilities of teenage hockey players]. Uspekhi sovremennogo estestvoznaniya, 2013, no. 10, P. 55.
- Vlasova O.P. Issledovanie vzaimosvyazi fizicheskoy podgotovlennosti s komponentami motivatsionnoy sfery yunykh sportsmenov, zanimayuschikhsya khokkeem s myachom [Physical fitness versus components of motivational sphere of junior bandy players]. Nauchny almanakh, 2016, no. 6-1(19), pp. 229-233.
- Kochengina E.S., Lagutin A.B. Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie sredstva formirovaniya motivatsii k sistematicheskim zanyatiyam sportom u doshkolnikov [Psychological-pedagogical techniques to form motivation to systematic training in pre-schoolers]. XII Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf. psihologov fizicheskoy kultury i sporta «Rudikovskie chteniya» [XII Intern. res.-practical conf. physical culture and sports psychologists"Rudikov comf."]. Moscow, 2016, pp. 219-221.
- Lubysheva L.I., Maksachuk E.P. Tsennostnye orientatsii i stil zhizni yunyih sportsmenov v aspekte sotsiologicheskogo analiza [Value orientations and lifestyle of junior athletes in aspect of sociological analysis]. Fizicheskaya kultura: vospitanie, obrazovanie, trenirovka, 2012, no. 6, P. 2.
- Ljdokova G.M. Deystviya trenera v sisteme otnosheniy «trener-sportsmen» v pauerliftinge [Coach's contribution to coach-athlete interactions in powerlifting sport]. Teoriya i praktika fizicheskoy kultury, 2017, no. 8, pp. 72-74.
- Ogorodova T.V. Lokus kontrolya i motivatsiya dostizheniya u khokkeistov [Locus of control and motivation of achievement for hockey players]. Vestnik Chelyabinskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Obrazovanie i zdravookhranenie. no. 2, Chelyabinsk, 2013, no. 34 (325), pp. 65–67.
- Filatov V.V. Motivatsionnaya sfera nachinayuschikh khokkeistov i problemy ee formirovaniya [Motives of beginner hockey players and problems of their formation]. Fizicheskaya kultura: vospitanie, obrazovanie, trenirovka, 2015, no. 1, P. 10.