National academic sports provisioning and financing practices in early 20th century
PhD, Professor B.A. Mikhailov1
Associate Professor A.A. Napreenkov2
PhD, Associate Professor А.М. Leontyuk1
PhD, Associate Professor O.V. Vashchuk1
1St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg
2St. Petersburg State University of Industrial Technologies and Design, St. Petersburg
Subject to the study were national academic sports provisioning and financing practices in the early 20th century with Saint Petersburg State University taken for the case study. The available historical accounts of the physical education process at the Russian education system provide scarce information on the equipment and facilities for the academic sports. Of special interest are the reports on the material and financial provisions for the academic sports at Saint Petersburg State University that pioneered in introducing Swedish gymnastics and athletic courses back in 1901 followed by other sport groups and teams. The university management did their best to provide the sport enthusiasts with due equipment; provided dedicated spaces for the training sessions; took on lease sport grounds for the athletes; and in 1902-1904 contracted a gymnastics trainer as a course manager. Later on the university management was largely disinterested in the academic sports albeit the Ministry of People’s Education still assigned RUB1000 in 1912 for the academic sports at the university.
Keywords: academic sports, sport group, sport financing, higher school.
- Shaskovsky A.P. Ves Petrogradna 1915 god: Adresnaya i spravochnaya kniga G. Petrograda: 22-y god izdaniya [All Petrograd 1915: Address and reference book of G. Petrograd: the 22nd year of publication]. Petrograd: Novoe vremya publ., 1914, 1424 p.
- Zavyalov D.A. Vremennye pravila organizatsii studencheskikh uchrezhdeniy [Temporary rules for organization of student institutions]. December 22, 1901. Clio: Scientists' Journal, St. Petersburg: Nestor publ., 2006, no. 1 (32), pp. 105–111.
- Sinitsyn S.D. Istoriya fizicheskoy kultury narodov SSSR: T. I. [History of Physical Culture of the Peoples of the USSR: Vol. I]. Moscow: Fizkultura i sport publ., 1953, 160 p.
- Mikhaylov B.A., Namozova S.Sh. Istoki razvitiya studencheskogo sporta v vuzakh Rossii i Sankt-Peterburga v nachale XX veka [The origins of development of academic sports in universities of Russia and St. Petersburg in the early XX century]. Teoriya i praktika fizicheskoy kultury, 2014, no. 12, pp. 18–21.
- Smirnov V.N. Iz istorii razvitiya sporta v Peterburgskom universitete. 1908–1917 gg.(po materialam russkoy dorevolyutsionnoy sportivnoy pechati) [From the history of development of sport in St. Petersburg University. 1908-1917 (based on the materials of Russian pre-revolutionary sports press)]. Voprosy fizicheskogo vospitaniya studentov: mezhvuzovskiy sb. [Questions of physical education of students: interuniversity col.] no. XXIII. St. Petersburg: SPbSU publ., 1992, pp. 131–139.
- Solonevich I.L. Mirovaya revolyutsiya, ili Novoe izgnanie iz raya [World Revolution, or New expulsion from Paradise]. Moscow: "Moscow" journal publ., 2006, 480 p.
- Sushchenko V.P., Napreenkov A.A. 105 let studencheskomu sportu v Sankt-Peterburgskom gosudarstvennom politekhnicheskom universitete [105th Anniversary of University Sport in Saint-Petersburg State Polytechnic University]. Teoriya i praktika fizicheskoy kultury, 2015, no. 2, pp. 3–5.