PhD, Associate Professor L.M. Volosnikova1
PhD, Associate Professor E.A. Kukuev1
PhD, Associate Professor G.Z. Efimova1
1Tyumen State University, Tyumen
Objective of the study was to analyze the correlation between engagement in sports, physical activity and injury rate among Tyumen senior schoolchildren (14-18 years).
Methods and structure of the study. The Tyumen schoolchildren (1,505 participants) were examined in May 2018. They were subjected to a questionnaire survey developed on the basis of the Global Physical Activity Questionnaire. In the course of the academic year, one in three respondents was injured.
Results of the study and conclusions. The study revealed a direct correlation between the injury rate, on the one hand, and the degree, regularity and intensity of schoolchildren’s physical activity, on the other; the association between the motive for sports activities and such factors as motives, age, gender, experience of injuries. We identified the temporal and spatial coordinates of child injury, the places and conditions of injuries. The higher the intensity and regularity of physical activity, the greater the risk of injury. We compiled the ranking of hazardous places and time (leisure time). The data obtained indicates the need to search for the ways to prevent child injuries and disabilities, as well as to form a safe school environment. The authors hope that "the newly-gained knowledge will be used to create a safe world for all".
Keywords: physical activity, sports, injury rate, safety, disability, involvement.
- Volosnikova L.M., Kukuev E.A., Ogorodnova O.V. Otlichitelnye kharakteristiki lichnostnogo potentsiala studentov-sportsmenov [University-athletes' personal potential profiling analysis]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury. 2016. no. 7. pp. 58-60.
- VOZ. Globalnye rekomendatsii po fizicheskoy aktivnosti dlya zdorovya [WHO. Global recommendations for physical activity for health]. Geneva, 2010.
- VOZ. Vsemirny doklad o profilaktike detskogo travmatizma [WHO. World Report on Child Injury Prevention]. Geneva, 2008.
- Manzheley I.V. Metod proektov v formirovanii fizkulturnyih kompetentsiy u bakalavrov [Projects method for formation of bachelor's physical education competences]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury. 2015. no. 12. pp. 16-18.
- Rosstat. Zdravookhranenie v Rossii [Rosstat. Health care in Russia]. Statistical Digest. М., 2017. p 72.
- Keays J., Allison K. The Effects of Regular Moderate to Vigorous Physical Activity on Student Outcomes: a review. Revue canadienne de santé publique, 1995. 86, 1, 62-65.
- Mikhalchuk V. N., Bondar S. O. Problems of the chidren’s traumatism: structure, dynamics of types during the long-time follow-up. Journal of Education, Health and Sport. 2017.-V.7(7)- Pp .64-1076
- Shephard R. Curricular Physical Activity and Academic Performance. Pediatric exercises Science.1997.V.9.pp.113-126
- Veugelers P., Fitzgerald A. Effectiveness of School Programs in Preventing Childhood Obesity: A Multilevel Comparison. American journal of public health 2005. 95-.pp. 432-5.