PhD, Associate Professor G.M. Ldokova1
PhD, Associate Professor, master of sport of Russia of international class K.R. Volkova1
PhD, Associate Professor O.A. Razzhivin1
PhD, Associate Professor A.N. Panfilov1
1Elabuga Institute of Kazan Federal University, Elabuga
Objective of the study was to analyze actions taken by couches in view of the correspondence of their actual and expected actions towards junior and young powerlifters.
Methods and structure of the study. Sampled for the study were 30 junior and young (14-23 year-old) athletes from Russia. We analyzed the coach’s significant actions towards the powerlifters (International Powerlifting Federation). To determine the coach's role, the authors used a questionnaire survey form that offered 13 options of the coach's actions and forms of participation in the athlete's activities. All actions of the coach were considered in two aspects. In the first case, it was proposed to evaluate the coach’s work from the position "The coach uses in application to you", i.e. his actual participation, in the second case, - "You would like the coach to use in application to you», i.e. desired actions.
Results and conclusions. According to the findings, among the priority (most important and indicative) actual actions of the coach are: "consideration of individual peculiarities", "explanation of the exercise techniques", "introduction into the training plan", "provision of assistance during competitions (warm-up, march on the platform)", "presence at trainings", "presence of own methods of training". The analysis of the obtained data on the coach's desired actions showed that 10 out of 13 questionnaire items had the highest values (10 points of average). This indicates that all their actions are potentially important for young powerlifters and equally desirable. The coach's skills in working with the junior and young powerlifters should be strictly sports-oriented, not influencing or exerting pressure on the personal life of the athlete. Coaches must control own behavior towards powerlifters. In this way, the coach will get the maximum benefit from the sports activity of his athlete.
Keywords: powerlifter, young man, junior, coach-athlete, coach's actions, powerlifting.
- Regush L.A., Alekseeva E.V., Orlova A.V. et al. Psikhologicheskie problemy rossiyskikh podrostkov [Psychological problems of Russian adolescents]. St. Petersburg: ELVI-PRINT publ., 2017. 297 p.
- Sheyko B.I. Pauerlifting. Nastolnaya kniga pauerliftera [Powerlifting. Powerlifter Handbook]. Moscow: Sport-servis publ., 2004. 403 p.
- Jowett S., Carpenter P. The concept of rules in the coach-athlete relationship. Sports Coaching Review. 2015. No. 4(1). pp. 1-23.
- Jowett S. Coaching Effectiveness: The Coach-Athlete Relationship at its Heart. Current Opinion in Psychology. 2017. No.16. pp. 154-158.
- Ljdokova G.M., Volkova K.R., Pianzin A.I. Coach's contribution to coach-athlete interactions in powerlifting sport. Teoriya i Praktika Fizicheskoy Kultury. 2017. No. 8. pp. 72-74.