PhD, Associate Professor G.R. Shagivaleeva1
PhD, Associate Professor G.K. Biserova1
PhD, Associate Professor G.M. Ldokova1
1Elabuga Institute of Kazan Federal University, Elabuga
Objective of the study was to identify voluntary self-regulation in adolescents (11-12 year-olds) as a factor of success in the competitive activity on taekwondokas.
Methods and structure of the study. Sampled for the study were 50 athletes of Elabuga, the Republic of Tatarstan (including 25 participants of different competitions - teenaged athletes, winners of the Russian competitions, championship and national competitions of the Republic of Tatarstan and multiple winners and medalists of tournaments of different levels; 25 athletes not participating in competitions). During the study, we analyzed of the level of development of volitional qualities, success motivation, and anxiety levels in the adolescent taekwondokas (those participating and not participating in the competitions). We assumed that the level of success motivation and volitional self-regulation was higher in the "participating" taekwondokas than in the "non-participating" ones and that they were more successful in the competitive activity.
Results and conclusions. The comparative analysis (Student t-test) revealed that the «participating» athletes had a higher level of achievement motivation. Consequently, the level of success motivation increases in those athletes who compete more often and win. We identified differences in the athletes' self-control skills: in the "non-participants" they were more significant at the level of trend. There were no differences in terms of perseverance and general self-regulation. The correlation analysis confirmed the relationship between success motivation and state anxiety in the total sample of athletes. It revealed a strong negative correlation: the higher the state anxiety level, the lower the self-control skills. We believe that the very process of psychological examination of the «participating» athletes contributed to the increase in the level of state anxiety.
The training sessions should be designed so that to build volitional qualities of an individual and his psychological preparedness for various situations during the competitive activity.
Keywords: voluntary self-regulation, success motivation, competitive activity, taekwondokas.
- Babushkin G.D. Psikhodiagnostika lichnosti pri zanyatiyakh fizicheskoy kul'turoy i sportom [Individual's psychodiagnostics during physical education and sport sessions]. Omsk : SibGUFK publ., 2012. 328 p.
- Ivannikov V.A., Barabanov D.D., Monroz A.V., Shlyapnikov V.N., Eidman E.V. Mesto ponyatiya «volya» v sovremennoi psikhologii [The place of the concept of “will” in modern psychology]. Voprosy psikhologii [Questions of Psychology], 2014, no. 2, pp. 15-22.
- Ilyin E.P. Psikhologiya sporta [Sports Psychology]. St. Petersburg: Piter publ., 2012. 352 p.
- Ismailova N.I., Biserova G.K., Ljdokova G.M. Uspeshnost v sorevnovatelnoy deyatelnosti studentov-sportsmenov kak otrazhenie ikh psikhoemotsionalnoy ustoychivosti i nadezhnosti [University athletes' competitive success versus their affective tolerance and stress-tolerance rates]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury. 2018. no. 3. pp. 3-5.
- Lubysheva L.I. Sotsiologiya fizicheskoy kultury i sporta [Sociology of Physical Culture and Sports]. Study guide. Moscow: Akademiya publ., 2010. 272 p.