PhD Dariusz Gierczuk1
PhD Igor Cieśliński1
Master Mariusz Buszta1
Professor Jerzy Sadowski1
1University of Physical Education in Warsaw, Poland; Faculty of Physical Education and Health in Biala Podlaska, Poland
Objective of the study was to determine the physical fitness profiles of elite freestyle wrestlers taking account of their weight classes and performance in tournaments.
Methods and structure of the study. The study participants were 72 female wrestlers and 66 male wrestlers who had won medals or had placed fifth to eighth at Poland Senior Championships or other major sports events. Subjects’ physical fitness profiles were assessed by measuring their explosive strength, strength endurance, suppleness, special endurance and agility. Differences were found between the profiles of male and female wrestlers, and of lightweight and heavyweight wrestlers of the same gender. Female wrestlers had lower scores than men for explosive strength, special endurance, strength endurance and suppleness while being more agile. The analysis of wrestlers’ profiles with respect to their body mass showed that both male and female wrestlers in the lightweight classes were more agile and supple than their counterparts in the heavyweight classes, with the lightweight male wrestlers also having higher scores on the strength endurance test.
Results and conclusions. The study demonstrated that the key abilities that both male and female wrestlers need to win medals are strength endurance, special endurance and explosive strength. The performance of lightweight female wrestlers primarily depends on their strength endurance and special endurance. In the case of lightweight male wrestlers, agility is an essential ability.
Keywords: motor abilities, male wrestling, female wrestling
- Tumanân G.S. Sportivnaâ borˊba: teoriâ, metodika, organizaciâ trenirovki. Sovetskij sport, Moskva, 1997, 285 p.
- Baić M., Sertić H., Starosta W. Differences in physical fitness levels between the classical and the free style wrestlers. Kinesiology, 2007, no. 39(2), pp. 142-149.
- García-Pallarés J., López-Gullón J.M., Torres-Bonete M.D., Izquierdo M. Physical fitness factors to predict female Olympic wrestling performance and sex differences. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2012, no. 26(3), pp. 794-803.
- Gierczuk D. The somatic and fitness determinants of sports performance in elite male and female wrestlers. University of Physical Education in Warsaw, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport in Biala Podlaska. 2019, 150 p. [in Polish]
- Kostovski Ž., Georgiev G., Shala S., Ibri L. Relations between motor abilities and the wrestler’s competitive effectiveness. Acta Kinesiologica, 2011, no. 5(2), pp. 72-75.
- Mirzaei B., Curby D.G., Barbas I., Lotfi N. Anthropometric and physical fitness traits of four-time world Greco-Roman wrestling champion in relation to national norms: A case study. Journal of Human Sport and Exercise, 2011, no. 6, pp. 406-413.
- Nikooie R., Cheraghi M., Mohamadipour F. Physiological determinants of wrestling success in elite Iranian senior and junior Greco-Roman wrestlers. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 2017, no. 57(3), pp. 219-226.
- Platonov V., Nikitenko A. Agility and coordination testing in hand-to-hand combat sport. Polish Journal of Sport and Tourism, 2019, no. 26(2), pp. 7-13.