Dr.Hab., Professor A.P. Skorodumova1
PhD A.A. Trukhachev2
1Russian Federal Research Center for Physical Culture and Sports (VNIIFK), Moscow
2National Nuclear Research University "MEPhI", Moscow
Objective of the study was to analyze the key aspects of the physical and functional fitness factors in the national tennis elite. The 17-23 year-old (n=36) elite tennis players were sampled for the study. A factorial analysis under the study made it possible to find five key physical and functional fitness factors. The most influential factor includes 12 criteria to rate the physical qualities. Special physical and functional fitness may largely be rated by the classified endurance types (48%) and the speed (28%) and speed-strength (8%) rates. As far as the endurance types are concerned, the key role is played by the aerobic capacity related endurance, with improvements in the aerobic capacity being critical for the working capacity maintenance for the whole match time. Progress of elite tennis players was found to depend rather on a harmonized development of the sport-specific physical qualities and skills pivotal for the competitive success than on some specific physical quality, regardless of how important the latter is for the competitive progress.
Keywords: physical and functional fitness, factor structure, competitive success, elite tennis players.
- Volkov N.I., Danilov V.A., Koryagin V.M. Fizicheskaya podgotovka basketbolistov: testy i kriterii [Physical training of basketball players: tests and criteria]. Moscow: Committee for Physical Culture and Sports under the Council of Ministers of the USSR, SCOLIPE publ., 1977, 89 p.
- Godik M.A., Skomorokhov E.V. Faktornaya struktura spetsialnoy podgotovlennosti futbolistov [Factor structure of special fitness of football players]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 1981, no. 7, pp. 14-16.
- Louli D., Maksvell A. Faktorny analiz kak statisticheskiy metod [Maxwell Factor analysis as a statistical method]. Moscow: Mir publ., 1967, P. 13.
- Matveyev L.P. Osnovy sportivnoy trenirovki [Basics of sports training]. Moscow: Fizkultura i sport publ., 1977, pp. 224-225.
- Nerobeev N.Y. Faktornaya struktura funktsionalnoy i fizicheskoy podgotovlennosti zhenshchin-bortsov [Factor structure of functional and physical fitness of female wrestlers]. Uchenye zapiski un-ta im. P.F. Lesgafta, 2012, no. 6, pp. 111-115.
- Platonov V.N. Issledovanie sportivnoy trenirovki v plavanii kak tselostnogo slozhnoorganizovannogo objekta [Study of swimming training as integral complex object]. Doct. diss. Abstract (Hab.). Moscow, 1977, 57 p.
- Harman G. Sovremenny faktorny analiz [Modern factor analysis]. Moscow: Statistika publ., 1972, pp. 151-162.