Survey of adolescents’ attitudes to doping in sports
PhD, Associate Professor E.G. Vershinin1
Dr.Sc.Soc., Professor V.V. Delaru1
1Volgograd State Medical University, Volgograd
The study was designed to contribute to the ongoing studies of the modern sports medicalizing process by a questionnaire survey of the 13-16 year-old adolescents (n=2069) randomly sampled among the 7-10 grade pupils of Volgograd schools; with the survey intended to obtain and analyze their attitudes to doping in sports. The survey data were statistically processed by STATISTIСA software (made by StatSoft, Tulsa, USA, 2010). The survey data and analysis showed that the sample largely believes in doping being quite common in the modern sports, with the sample attitudes to doping rated as 56.4%, 11.8% and 31.8% negative, positive and uncertain, respectively; and with the junior subsample (13-14 year-olds) found more positive to doping versus the 15-16 year-olds. It was also found that the sample negativism or positivism to doping is largely latent and may be activated by certain situations (must-win agendas; poor doping checks in junior – and even elite – competitions etc.) when they tend to accept doping. Since the mass adolescent consciousness is largely indecisive in the attitudes to doping as a deviant practice, the adolescents are quite tolerant to doping due to the age-specific mentality.
Keywords: prohibited drugs in sports, attitude of adolescents.
- Avdulova T.P. Psikhologiya podrostkovogo vozrasta [Psychology of adolescence]. Moscow: Akademiya publ., 2012, 240 p.
- Vershinin E.G., Delaru V.V. Prestizhnost professiy kak refleksiya tsennostnykh orientatsiy podrostkov g. Volgograda [Prestige of professions as reflection of value orientations of adolescents in Volgograd]. Sotsiologiya goroda, 2014, no. 4, pp. 27-36.
- Vershinin E.G., Delaru V. V. Razreshennye preparaty v detskom sporte: rezultaty anketirovaniya vrachey sportivnoy meditsiny [Authorized drugs in children's sports: survey results of doctors of sports medicine]. Pediatricheskaya farmakologiya, 2015, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 485-487.
- Kukes V.G., Gorodetsky V.V. Sportivnaya farmakologiya: dostizheniya, problemy, perspektivy [Sports pharmacology: achievements, problems, perspectives]. Sportivnaya meditsina: nauka i praktika, 2010, no. 1 (1), pp. 12-15.
- Seifulla R.D., Gudivok Ya. S., Gorchakova N.A., Gunina L.M. Farmakologiya sporta [Sports pharmacology]. Kiev: Olimpiyskaya literatura publ., 2010, 640 p.
- Tolstykh N.N., Prikhozhan A. M. Psikhologiya podrostkovogo vozrasta. Uchebnik [Psychology of adolescence. Textbook]. Moscow: Yurayt publ., 2016, 408 p.