PhD N.N. Kladkin1
1Institute of Physical Culture and Sport of Ammosov North-Eastern Federal University, Yakutsk
Applied in the study were the theoretical research, analysis and comparative analysis to make an account of the historical and educational basics for the ethnic archery traditions on the Russian North, with a special emphasis on the origins and progress paths of the ethnic archery. The study overviews the ethnic heritage of Olonho people, Yakut folk legends, traditions, hunter’s initiation rites, warrior training and education traditions etc.; plus the modern motivations for the traditional art of archery. It is concluded that the ethnic archery in the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) comprise an integral element of the national history, tradition and lifestyles that largely contributed to survival of the ethnic groups in the past and are still highly important for the ethnic sport elite. To further support the sport, the traditional archery shall be promoted by target efforts and projects in the way it has been done for mas-wrestling, hapsagay and other popular ethnic sports.
Keywords: archery, parenting, art of archery, weapons for hunting, genetic memory.
- Vasilyev F.F., Savinov D.G [ed.] Voennoe delo yakutov [Yakut art of war]. Yakutsk: Bichik publ., 1995, 224 p.
- Istoriya oruzhiya: luk i arbalet [Weapon History: Bow and Crossbow]. Available at: http://www.archery-sila.ru/stati/511-istoriya-oruzhiya-luk-i-arbalet.html.
- Ksenofontov G.V., Okladnikov A.P. [ed.] Elleyada [Ellayada]. Materialy po mifologii i legendarnoy istorii yakutov [Materials on Yakut mythology and legendary history]. Moscow: Nauka publ., 1977, 248 p.
- Mikhailov V.D. Postizhenie tayny mirozdaniya kak put k garmonii dushi i tela (vospitanie bogatyrya Ayyyi v olonho) [Learning the mystery of the universe as a way to harmony of soul and body (training hero Aiya in Olonho)]. Mater. II mezhdunar. prakt. konf. 'Fizicheskaya kultura i detsko-yunosheskiy sport v sovremennykh usloviyakh: idei, dukhovnost, vospitanie' [Proc. II Intern. pract. conf. 'Physical education and children's and youth sports in modern environment: ideas, spirituality, education']. Yakutsk, July, 5-6 2008. Yakutsk: Bichik publ., 2008, pp. 288-289.
- Oyunskiy P. Nyurgun Bootur Stremitelny: Yakutskiy geroicheskiy epos-olonkho [Nyurgun Bootur-the-Rapid: Yakut heroic epic-olonho]. 2nd ed. Yakutsk: Kn. izd., 1982, P. 281.
- Seroshevskiy V.L. Yakuty. Opyt etnograficheskogo issledovaniya [The Yakuts. Experience of ethnographic research]. 2nd ed., Moscow, 1993, P 445.
- Tevyashov E.E. O naznachenii bokovykh otverstiy na vtulkakh bronzovykh nakonechnikov skifskikh strel [On the role of side holes on the hubs of bronze tips of Scythian arrows]. St. Petersburg, 1910.
- Yakutiya. Istoriko-kulturny atlas: priroda, istoriya, etnografiya, sovremennost [Yakutia. Historical and cultural atlas: nature, history, ethnography, modernity]. Moscow, 2007, 872 p.