Dr.Biol., Professor S.I. Loginov1
PhD, Associate Professor M.N. Malkov1
1Surgut State University, Surgut
The study analyzes benefits of a Nordic walking (NW) testing experiment for the senior women’s (55-76 year-old, n=39) physical fitness. The Experimental Group (EG, n=20) was trained by 50-60min NW three times a week for 16 weeks; versus the Reference Group (RG, n=19) engaged in health walking practices for the same period. The group progress was tested by the pre- and post-experimental physical fitness tests for seniors. The EG showed progress versus the RG in arm strength, aerobic capacity and movement coordination test rates (p<0,05), with the lower limb strength and flexibility rates showing no variations. The RG also showed progress in the lower limb strength and aerobic capacity rates obtained by a 6-min walking test (p<0.05). It may be concluded, therefore, that the regular NW practices are recommended for physical activation (and sedentary lifestyle control) purposes, with the NW training effects being higher versus the health walking practices.
Keywords: motor activity, physical activity, elderly people, Yugra, fitness test for elderly people, Nordic walking.
- VOZ. Strategiya i plan deystviy v podderzhku zdorovogo stareniya v Evrope, 2012–2020 gg. 62 sessiya Evropeyskogo regionalnogo komiteta VOZ. [Strategy and action plan for healthy ageing in Europe, 2012–2020. 62nd session of the WHO Regional Committee for Europe]. Malta, September 10–13 2012. [Electronic resource]. Available at: http://www.euro.who.int/en/who-we-are/governance. Date of access 01.02.2018.
- Loginov S.I., Malkov M.N., Nikolayev A.Yu. Gendernye osobennosti proyavleniya povsednevnoy fizicheskoy aktivnosti i sidyachego povedeniya v vyborke pozhilykh zhiteley Surguta [Gender-specific manifestations of daily physical activity and sedentary behaviour in elderly people of Surgut]. Uspekhi gerontologii, 2017, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 573–578.
- Loginov S.I., Nikolayev A.Yu., Malkov M.N. Optimizaciya fizicheskoy aktivnosti i sidyachego povedeniya v vyborke pozhilykh zhiteley Surguta s pomoschyu skandinavskoy khodby [Scandinavian walking application experience for surgut seniors physical activation and sedentary behaviour correction]. Teoriya i praktika fizicheskoy kultury, 2017, no. 7, pp. 90–92.
- Brown M., Rose D.J. Flexibility training. In C.J. Jones, & D.J. Rose (Eds.), Physical activity instruction for older adults (pp. 155-174). Champaign, IL: 2005. Human Kinetics.
- Holland G.J., Tanaka K., Shigematsu R., & Nakagaichi M. Flexibility and Physical Functions of Older Adults: A Review. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 2002, 10, pp. 169-206.
- Milanović Z., Pantelić S., Trajković N., Sporiš G., Kostić R., James N. Age-related decrease in physical activity and functional fitness among elderly men and women. Clin. Intervent. Aging, 2013, V. 8, pp. 549–556. doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S44112.
- Nawrocka A., Mynarski W., Cholewa J. Adherence to physical activity guidelines and functional fitness of elderly women, using objective measurement. Ann. Agricult. Environ. Med. 2016. doi: 10.5604/12321966.1231388.
- Rikli R E., Jones J.C. Senior Fitness Test Manual, 2nd ed. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2013.
- WHO. Global status report on noncommunicable diseases. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, 2014.