Dr.Sc.Psych., Professor V.A. Moskvin1
PhD, Associate Professor N.V. Moskvina1
1Russian State University of Physical Education, Sports, Youth and Tourism (GTSOLIFK), Moscow
The study analyzes the psycho-physiological grounds for the individual differences in the volitional control domain, with the sport university students (18-25 year-old males, n = 100) tested with cerebral control function asymmetries sampled for the study. Applied for the study purposes were the following methods: Cattel’s 16 Personality Factor Questionnaire (A form); M.V. Chumakov’s questionnaire diagnosis of volitional personality traits; V.A. Moskvin’s technique of diagnostics of stability of choice of color stimuli; plus the Luria’s incomplete dominance diagnostics criteria including hands-crossing tests to find and rate dominance in contralateral frontal parts of the brain. The sample was split up into two groups by the domination rates, with the Wilcoxon U-test of randomness being applied for statistical processing of the test data.
The study found the intergroup differences with the dominant-left-hemisphere-tested group tested with the higher volitional control rates. The study findings may be applied for practical tests of the individual volitional control abilities by the sport psychologists in the elite athletic training systems to forecast the competitive performance under stress.
Keywords: psychophysiology, individual traits, functional asymmetries, junior athletes, volitional control of behaviour.
- Luria A.R. Osnovy neyropsikhologii [Basics of Neuropsychology]. Moscow: MSU publ., 1973, 374 p.
- Moskvin V.A., Moskvina N.V. Mezhpolusharnye asimmetrii i individualnyie razlichiya cheloveka [Interhemispheric asymmetries and individual differences in man]. Moscow: Smysl publ., 2011, 368 p.
- Moskvin V.A., Moskvina N.V. Tseleobrazovanie i psikhologicheskoe vremya sportivnykh menedzherov [Sport managers' goal-setting and psychological timing abilities]. Teoriya i praktika fizicheskoy kultury, 2017, no. 1, pp. 38-39.
- Chumakov M.V. Diagnostika volevykh osobennostey lichnosti [Diagnostics of volitional characteristics of personality]. Voprosy psikhologii, 2006, no. 1, pp. 169-178.
- Moskvin V.A., Moskvina N.V. Asymmetry and individual charachteristics of strong-willed regulation teenage athletes. Austrian Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 2016, no. 5-6, pp. 22-24. doi: 10.20534/AJH-16-5.6-22-24.