Dr.Biol., Professor R.V. Tambovtseva1
1Russian State University of Physical Education, Sport, Youth and Tourism (GTSOLIFK), Moscow
Objective of the study was to profile the skills- and load-specific sodium and potassium blood level variations in track-and-field athletes and weightlifters under step loads variations. The trainees were subject to laboratory tests by submaximal step loads, with the load stepped from 1W per kilo of body weight in the first step by the same load in every next 3-min step. The sodium and potassium levels were tested using atomic emission spectroscopy (flame photometry). It was found that the sodium and potassium blood level variations prior to and after the step load test are contradictory. The processed test data showed quite wide individual variations in every of the three test groups. Having rated the mineral-corticoid function of adrenal cortex versus the sodium and potassium blood level variations, we found a few skills- and sport-specific variations in the test data obtained by the submaximal cycle ergometer exercise test.
Keywords: sodium, potassium, track-and-field athletes, weightlifters, blood, mineral-corticoid function of adrenal cortex.
- Kraemer W.J. Rogol A.D. Endokrinnaya sistema, sport i dvigatelnaya aktivnost [The endocrine system, sport and physical activity]. Kiev: Olimpiyskaya literatura, 2005, 599 p.
- Marshall V.J. Klinicheskaya biokhimiya [Clinical Biochemistry]. Transl. from English. St. Petersburg: Nevskiy dialekt pul., 1999, 368 p.
- Matlina E.Sh., Schreiberg G.L., Voinova A.Kh., Dunaeva P.P. Vzaimosvyaz katekholaminov i kortikosteroidov v protsesse myshechnogo utomleniya [Interrelation of catecholamines and corticosteroids in the process of muscle fatigue]. Fiziologicheskiy zhurnal SSSR, 1078, vol. 64, pp. 171-176.
- Newsholme E., Start C. Regulyatsiya metabolizma [Regulation in metabolism]. Moscow: Mir publ., 1977.
- Tambovtseva R.V. Izmenenie gormonalnoy regulyatsii obmennykh protsessov u konkobezhtsev na raznykh etapakh trenirovochnogo tsikla [Changes in hormonal regulation of metabolic processed in speed skaters in different phases of training cycle]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 2015, No. 5, pp. 52-54.
- Tambovtseva R.V., Nikulina I.A. Osobennosti gormonalnoy regulyatsii energeticheskogo obmena u sportsmenov razlichnykh spetsializatsiy pri vypolnenii predelnoy raboty [Specifics of hormonal regulation of energy metabolism in athletes in various disciplines when training to failure]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 2016, no. 1, pp. 28-30.
- Fisbach F.T. A Manual of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests, 8th Ed.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008, 1344 p.
- Fisher D.A. The Quest diagnostics manual. Endocrinology test selection an interpretation, 4th ed. San JuanCapistrano, CA^ Quest Diagnostics Nichols Institute, 2007, 369 p.
- Sundsfjord J.A., Stromm S.B., Aakvaag A. Metabolic adaptation to prolonged exercise. Basel, 1975, pp.308-314.