University athletes' competitive success versus their affective tolerance and stress-tolerance rates
PhD, Associate Professor G.K. Biserova1
PhD, Associate Professor G.M. Ljdokova1
1Yelabuga Institute of Kazan Federal University, Yelabuga
In the selection process, every coach gives a high priority to the athlete’s personality qualities plus a variety of mental fitness aspects including the affective tolerance and stress-tolerance rates. These competitive success factors were rated by the Cattel’s 16 Personality Factor Questionnaire and computerized Activatiometer AC-9K Test System. Objective of the study was to profile the university athletes’ personality qualities versus their competitive success rates. Subject to the tests and analyses under the study were the personality qualities, affective tolerance and stress-tolerance rates of the 19-21 year old students (n=60). The study data and analyses showed that the successful university competitors are tested with higher affective tolerance rates; high working capacity maintenance abilities; higher stress-tolerance rates; and high self-control and self-confidence rates. Most of them demonstrate high self-esteem, ambitions and insistence in a variety of competitive situations; versus the unsuccessful university athletes that tend to explain their failures by the process mismanagement factors and misfortunes.
Keywords: affective tolerance, stress-tolerance, personality qualities, university athletes, computerized test system.
- Volosnikova L.M., Kukuev E.A., Ogorodnova O.V. Lichnostnye kharakteristiki studentov-sportsmenov [University-athletes' personal potential profiling analysis]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 2016, no. 7, pp. 58-61.
- Katunin A.P. Stressoustoychivost kak psikhologicheskiy fenomen [Stress tolerance as a psychological phenomenon]. Molodoy ucheny, 2012, no. 9, pp. 243-246.
- Pashintsev V.G. Fizicheskaya podgotovka kvalifitsirovannykh dzyudoistov k glavnomu sorevnovaniyu goda [Physical training of skilled judokas for major competition of the year]. Moscow: Sport publ., 2016. 208 p.
- Tsagarelli U.A. Sistemnaya psikhologicheskaya diagnostika s pomoshch'yu pribora «Aktivatsiometr» [System psychological diagnostics using Activatiometer device]. Kazan: Poznanie publ., 2009, 492 p.
- Ljdokova G.M., Razzhivin O.A., Volkova K.R. Confounding factors in sport activities of powerlifters. Life Science Journal, 2014, no. 11 (8s). pp. 410-413.