Postgraduate A.S. Ananyin1
PhD, Associate Professor L.V. Bulykina1
Associate Professor S.D. Kunysheva2
1Russian State University of Physical Education, Sport, Youth and Tourism (GTSOLIFK), Moscow
2Ural Federal University named after the first president of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Yekaterinburg
Objective of the study was to assess benefits of the video replay service benefits for the modern volleyball game, with the 2014 World Volleyball Championship in Poland taken for the case study. On the whole, video replays were requested 572 times during the championship. We obtained and analysed the following video replay service data: share of the revised referee’s decisions versus the total requests and for each type of the requests; and correlation of the team requests with the team total score on the final scoreboard of the 2014 World Volleyball Championship.
The study data and analysis showed benefits of the video replay service as verified by the numbers of the revised referee’s decisions. However, the modern development trends in the men’s volleyball suggest that the service shall be improved for the reason that the ball-in-game time (and flying ball rates) has notably sagged since the service was introduced. The video replay service system needs to be improved by a set of target actions to correct the system drawbacks.
Keywords: volleyball, video replay, video replay service system, volleyball rules.
- Ananyin A.S. Tendentsii razvitiya sorevnovatelnoy deyatelnosti v muzhskom voleybole [Trends in development of competitive activities in men's volleyball]. Fizicheskaya kultura: vospitanie, obrazovanie, trenirovka, 2017, no. 3, P. 4.
- Velasko Kh. Tendentsii razvitiya sovremennogo voleybola [Trends in development of modern volleyball]. Sovremenny voleybol. Trenirovka. Upravlenie. Tendentsi [Modern volleyball. Training. Control. Trends). Russian volleyball federation. Moscow, 2008, pp. 2-8.
- Cheremisin V.P. Innovatsionnye tekhnologii v sportivnykh igrakh: teoriya i praktika. is. 5: (sb. lektsiy). Ucheb. posobie dlya studentov vuzov fiz. kultury [Innovative technologies in sports games: theory and practice. vol. 5: (collected lectures). Study guide for phys. culture university students]. Malakhovka: MSAPC publ., 2010, 257 p.
- Titov S.V., Chesnokov Y.B. Tekhnika igry [Game Technique]. Guide of RVF, Russian volleyball federation, Moscow, 2009, 33 p.
- Steel S., Titov S. Challenge–summary of experience: the International volleyball Federation (FIVB) minutes of the meeting from 7.11.2014. FIVB, 2014.