Dr.Hab., Professor L.I. Lubysheva1
Master A.A. Badrtdinova1
1Russian State University of Physical Education, Sport, Youth and Tourism (GTSOLIFK), Moscow
Objective of the study was to analyse gender-specific socialization challenges for women competing in traditional men’s sports. Subject to the questionnaire survey were female students of Volga region Sport and Tourism Academy in Kazan. The study sample was broken up into the following two groups: group one composed of 80 women competing in traditional men’s sports; and group two of 170 women competing in other sports commonly viewed as traditionally favouring women.
The survey data and analysis showed that the academic sports, irrespective of their gender specifics and distortions, cultivate a variety of positive personality qualities including confidence, discipline, responsibility, determination; make a valuable contribution to the individual life experience with no detriment for the feminine qualities and self-perceptions; and these benefits provide additional support for the policies and movements striving to overcome gender biases and stereotypes in societies.
Keywords: questionnaire survey, female students, athletes, traditional men’s sports, gender specifics.
- Bal'sevich V.K., Lubysheva L.I. Sportivno orientirovannoe fizicheskoe vospitanie: obrazovatelny i sotsialny aspekty [Sports-centered physical education: educational and social aspects]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 2003, no. 5, pp. 19-22.
- Vilenskiy M.Y. Student kak subiekt fizicheskoy kulrury [Student as subject of physical culture]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 1999. no. 10, pp. 2-5.
- Vorozhbitova A.L. Gender v sportivnoy deyatelnosti. Ucheb. posobie [Gender in sports activity. Study guide]. Moscow: Flinta; Nauka publ., 2010, 250 p.
- Ilyin E.P. Pol i gender [Sex and gender]. St. Petersburg: Piter publ., 2010, 688 p.: il.
- Lubysheva L.I. Zhenschina i sport: sotsialny aspekt [Woman and sport: social aspect]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 1999, no. 8, pp. 55-58.
- Lubysheva L.I. Zhenschina i sport : sotsialny aspekt [Woman and sport: social aspect]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 2000, no. 6, pp. 13-16.
- Starosta V. Obosnovano li delenie vidov sporta na muzhskie i zhenskie? [Is it reasonable to divide sports into men's and women's?]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 2006, no. 6, pp. 12-16.