The Role of University of Physical Education and Sport in Sociocultural Development of Olympic Region
S. Akhmetov, Dr.Hab., Professor
Yu. Chernishenko, Dr.Hab., Professor
A. Pogrebnoy, Dr.Hab., Professor
G. Aleksan’yants, Dr.Med., Professor
A. Tarasenko, Professor
Kuban State University of Physical Education, Sport and Tourism
Key words: socio-cultural development, optimization of university structure, research activities, training of elite athletes, voluntary movement.
For more than forty years of the history of Kuban State University of Physical Culture, Sport and Tourism (KSUPhCST), the leading university of physical culture and sport not only in Krasnodar territory, but also in the Southern Federal District, the university collective has been of great importance in development of physical culture and sport of the Russian Federation. The priority directions of the university team being implemented in the university are as follows:
1. University structure optimization.
The university implements four levels of education. Specialists are being trained in 3 areas of vocational education, 10 major specialities and 12 areas of higher education, 6 specialities of post-graduate training, and educational programs of professional development and retraining. The institution of higher education includes in its structure 8 faculties, 26 departments and a college of the humanities, post-graduate and doctoral courses, Scientific Research Institute of Physical Culture and Sports problems, a branch in the city of Rostov-on-Don, Dissertation Council for defending theses for PhD and doctor degrees in pedagogical, biological and psychological sciences.
In connection with the reorganization of the university and the federal state educational institution of secondary education "Krasnodar state Olympic Reserve school" by joining the school to the university implements a new direction - training of sports reserve for Russian national teams in various sports.
As part of educational programs of higher education in the direction of Physical Education (the Profile "Sports training in the chosen sport") the coaching staff for 46 sports, including 30 Olympic ones is being trained. In 2013 the first specialists in the sphere physical culture and sports (fencing and rugby specializations) graduated from the university. The training of equestrian and winter sports coaches was launched.
The level of the faculty qualification improvement and physical sport staff retraining is being systematically increased. Only in 2012 613 experts of physical culture and sport have upgraded their qualification.
Graduates of the College of the humanities and the School of Olympic Reserve continue their studies at the university on specialized bachelor courses based on individual curricula of intensive learning and further as a result of the competitive selection process – at magistracy and postgraduate courses. The university ensures the integration of all levels of education and continuity of the educational content. This enables early qualification of promising athletes, gifted students and accompanying them throughout the educational path to post-graduate courses. Thus the university implements the multi-level system of continuous training in the field of physical culture and sport in practice.
2. The growing influence of the university on the socio-economic development of Krasnodar territory and the Southern Federal District.
While contributing the promotion of physical culture and sport in Krasnodar territory and the Southern Federal District, the University solves the following tasks:
- targeted training of sports teachers working in youth sports schools;
- training and retraining;
- creation of conditions for the training process and sports competitions at the university educational material basis;
- assistance to municipalities responsible for physical culture, sports and education, to children's and youth sports schools in the development of physical culture and sports activities;
- scientific and methodological support of elite and mass sport.
The University implements the target admission in the field of "Physical Education" and "Sport" subject to the contracts with the administration of Krasnodar Territory, the executive authority of the Republic of Adygea, Kabardino-Balkaria, North Ossetia-Alania, Karachay-Cherkess Republic, the Republic of Ingushetia, the Republic of Kalmykia. The significant role in the organization of career guidance for entering the university is played by the executive bodies of the Southern Federal District. The university cooperates constructively with sports federations, children's and youth sports schools.
The University provides advanced training courses and vocational retraining for employees of municipal institutions and extended education in Physical Culture and Sport. The average annual number of training courses attendants is more than five hundred people.
More than 20 sports events are held annually on the educational-sports base of the University, among them: International competitions in rhythmic gymnastics, taekwondo, track and field athletics, championships of the Southern Federal District in rhythmic gymnastics, track and field athletics and fencing, competitions for the Cup of the Governor of Krasnodar Territory in athletics and gymnastics.
Over the years, the university monitors the level of physical development and physical fitness of 2-9 formers in secondary schools of Krasnodar Territory. More than six thousand pupils undergo annual surveys. General recommendations on healthy lifestyle and organization of physical education of schoolchildren are directed to schools. At the University Department of Adaptive Physical Culture a rapid diagnosis and correction of brain dysfunctions of about three hundred secondary schoolchildren are conducted on the basis of the developed innovative technologies - training within sustainability through biofeedback.
Each year more than 600 students conduct mass sports and recreational activities in the course of professional practice. During summer holidays, the University students are involved in the pedagogical assistance at school camps and domiciliary recreational areas.
Sports and pedagogical departments of the University are actively involved in the municipal stages of competitions for the Cup of the Governor of Krasnodar territory in football and street ball.
Every year the university holds more than 100 sports events for schoolchildren in Krasnodar territory, has been actively involved in citywide sports, recreation and mass cultural events.
During the last three years the regional stage of the school physical education contests has been organized in the University.
3. Training of highly skilled athletes.
The presence of the optimal structure of training of the sports teaching staff and sports reserve, an effective system of vocational guidance only in 2013 provided the admission to the university of more than one hundred athletes, members of reserve national teams of the Russian Federation, including 2 masters of sports of international class and 48 masters of sport.
Over the past 5 years, more than 200 students have become - honoured masters of sport, masters of sports international class, masters of sports of the Russian Federation. More than 500 students are members of various teams. The pride of the university is the students - members of the Russian national teams at various levels. Only the Olympic and Paralympic Games 2012 in London were presented by 23 of our students who won one gold, 4 silver and 5 bronze medals. 63 students of the University took part in the XXVII World Summer Universiade 2013 in Kazan. They won 29 gold, 6 silver and 6 bronze medals.
The availability of highly qualified teachers is of great importance for attracting prospective athletes. The honoured coaches of Russia (E.V. Rudenko, A.I. Bykov, B.A. Desyaterikov, A.V. Sinitsyn, A.Z. Ryzhkov, I.I. Ivanov, I.S. Romanov) and promising young coaches work at our university.
The University pays particular attention to the individualization of the learning process. The elements of distance technologies are applied for this purpose. Highly skilled athletes, having individual training schedule can learn the contents of the subjects taught, have a piece of advice regarding self-study, be tested on-line via the university web site.
4. The scientific research work.
The university research work was carried in 4 priority areas of the research activity of the Ministry of Sport of the Russian Federation.
Altogether 21 scientific topics were developed at the university. Among them:
- 2 topics are performed by the order of the Ministry of Sports of the Russian Federation, 1 topic - on the instructions of the Ministry of Physical Culture and Sport of Krasnodar Territory;
- 1 topic is implemented by the request of FSBI "Center of athletic training of national teams of Russia";
- 4 topics are developed in the framework of research projects supported by the Russian Federal Property Fund jointly with the Institute of General Genetics, Russian Academy of Sciences and the State Public Health Service Department "Children's Regional Hospital" and LLC "Regional Nephrology Center";
- 7 topics are executed according to the university scientific research plan.
The university researches are being conducted in the accordance with 64 creative collaboration agreements both with domestic and foreign partners in scientific, educational and cultural spheres.
266 researchers, including 36 doctors of sciences and professors, 144 PhDs, associate professors and three doctoral students, 3 candidates for a doctor’s degree, 101 postgraduates and 41 candidates, as well as students are involved in the scientific work of the university.
About 30 scientific researches of the university personnel were integrated into the practice of physical education and sport.
Around 5-6 All-Russian conferences including those with international participation are held annually on the basis of our university.
According to the results of researches the university teachers and the staff of the scientific research institute publish monographs, textbooks and teaching aids (including stamped UMO of Russian institutions of higher education in the field of physical culture), training manuals, workbooks, lecture courses, dictionaries, educational programs, collections, theses, books and other publications.
4 issues of the scientific and methodical journal "Physical Culture, Sport - Science and Practice" are published every year. This journal is included into the list of the leading peer-reviewed scientific journals and publications recommended by the Higher Attestation Commission (HAC).
The key aspect of activity of the university collective is the scientific and methodological support of elite sport.
In the last three years scientists of the University have carried out scientific and methodological support of members and the reserve of combined teams of Kuban in 27 sports on the basis of agreements with the administration of Krasnodar territory. Every year more than 400 elite athletes and more than 2,000 promising young athletes are examined. The scientific and methodological assistance during training for the London Olympics was provided to: judoka Arsen Galstyan; track and field athletes: Tatyana Chernova and Maria Abakumova; swimmers: Danila Izotov and Stanislav Donets, rowers: Vladimir Chernyshkov and Elizabeth Astanina and many other athletes.
Together with the scientists the University carries out scientific management of complex research groups in the national team of the Russian Federation in trampolining, mainly consisting of students and graduates of our university, and sailing. The university also takes an active part in the scientific and methodological support of training of Russian national teams in kayaking and canoeing, rowing and judo.
For many years university scientists help the members of the national teams of the Russian Federation in the scientific and methodological support of their training in a number of sports at the Federal State Unitary Enterprise "Southern Federal Center of Sports Training" in the city of Sochi.
An innovative incubator was created in the university, on the basis of which young talented scientists realize their ideas and file patents. Only in 2012 they got seven patents for inventions and useful models for Physical Culture and Sport.
According to the recent suggestion of President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin concerning the need to revive the complex Ready for Labour and Defence (RLD) monitoring of physical fitness of students in secondary schools having been held since 1999 in Krasnodar is particularly urgent. Annually more than 18 thousand schoolboys and schoolgirls of different age are tested, science-based recommendations regarding improvement of the process of their physical fitness are formulated and replicated.
5. The development of the volunteer movement.
The fact that the university is involved in the development and promotion of the values of volunteerism with the help of the center of attracting volunteers to serve the XXII Olympic Winter Games and the XI Paralympic Winter Games 2014 in Sochi is one of the factors of strengthening the university image.
The University Volunteer Center, established in December 2010, is the only one among the higher educational institutions of physical culture and sport in the Russian Federation, seeking to involve volunteers to take part in the organization of the XXII Olympic Winter Games and the XI Paralympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi in the following functional areas: "Servicing events (Olympic Games), " Servicing events (Paralympic Games)" and "Sport".
With the total quota of 2,000 people, the center was able to attract 5107 active candidates, including 2,487 students, undergraduates, postgraduates, master students, employees or graduates of the University, and others - outside candidates from 33 regions of Russia, the CIS and other foreign countries - Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Germany, Ireland, Algeria and Palestine.
In our University volunteerism is developing largely due to the involvement of young people into the project activities. Only in the last academic year, the volunteer center implemented 116 projects of social, sports and Olympic orientations, the main of which are:
- «Live Site» (servicing sports events on the city information site during the 2012 Games in London);
- "500 Days to Go Before the Games" (participation in joint actions together with the Organizing Committee to mark the date);
- "Volunteer Vacation" (volunteer work at domiciliary yard sports grounds during practical work);
- "Volunteer School" (Olympic education of university students in the system of extracurricular activities);
- "Area-93" (participation in the educational program of the regional forum of active young people);
- "Olympic Lessons" (Olympic education of pupils and students of educational institutions of Krasnodar Territory);
- "Helping Hand" (collection of humanitarian aid for victims of natural disasters in Krasnodar Territory);
- "The New Year coming to hospital" (the action on buying gifts for children being treated in hospitals);
- "Tsvetik - Semitsvetik" (event to raise funds for children without parental care);
- "Cheers!" (Sports festival in the boarding school of Abinsk)
- "Coubertin's Covenants" (educational project to promote the Olympic values among young people);
- "Volunteer Family" (families ' competition where at least three of family members are volunteers);
- "Paralympic decade" (servicing Paralympic sports competitions).
Volunteers of the university together with the growing partner network implemented 56 social, sports and Olympic projects.
Completed projects have received wide publicity and were covered in federal and regional mass media.
University volunteers were actively involved in serving pre-Olympic test events in 10 Olympic and one Paralympic sports. A total of 226 students have got a similar kind of experience.
Thus, based on the results of the Volunteer Center we can forecast successful participation of our students in servicing of the XXII Olympic Winter Games and the XI Paralympic Winter Games.
Perspective plans of the university development are aimed at the significant modernization of material and technical base, which can greatly improve the quality of professional training of graduates and expand the range of educational and sports services provided to the population of Krasnodar territory and the Southern Federal District.
- Balsevich, V.K. Human ontokinesiology / V.K. Balsevich. – Moscow: Teoriya i praktika fizicheskoy kultury, 2000. – 275 P. (In Russian)
- Balsevich, V.K. Natural and social resources of development of motor potential / V.K. Balsevich. (selected University lectures) - Moscow: RSUPhCSYT, 2012. - P. 35 (In Russian)
- Baranov, V.V. Physical culture and sport in the university complex as factors of the competitive resource of student / V.V. Baranov // Teoriya i praktika fizicheskoy kultury. - 2013. - № 4. - P. 100-103. (In Russian)
- Weiner, E.N. Valeology: curriculum for students of all specializations of pedagogical universities. / E.N. Weiner. - Lipetsk, 1993. - P. 15. (In Russian)
- Vasil'eva, Z.A. The use of the heritage of the Universiade 2019 for development of Krasnoyarsk / Z.A. Vasilyeva, G.F. Kayachev, V.I. Kolmakov, A.V. Moskvina, V.V. Borodkina // Vestnik Sibirskogo gosudarstvennogo aerokosmicheskogo universiteta im. akademika M.F. Reshetneva. - 2012. - № 6 (46). - P. 43-46. (In Russian)
- Evseev, S.P. Modern educational environment in the in the field of physical culture and sport of the Russian Federation / S.P. Evseev, M.Yu. Shchennikova // Proceedings of the Intern. sports forum "Russia - Sports Country 2011". - Moscow: SportAkademReklama, 2011. - P. 225-231. (In Russian)
- Kazin, E.M. The basics of human individual health. Introduction to general and applied valeology: study guide for students of higher ed. institutions / E.M. Kazin, N.G. Blinova, N.A. Litvinova. - Moscow: VLADOS, 2000. - P. 192 (In Russian)
- Kayachev, G.F. Assessment of the potential for growth of Krasnoyarsk and the expected effect from staging the World Universiade 2019 / G.F. Kayachev, Z.A. Vasiliev, V.I. Kolmakov, T.P. Likhachev, A.V. Moskvin // Vestnik Sibirskogo gosudarstvennogo aerokosmicheskogo universiteta im. akademika M.F. Reshetneva. - 2012. - № 6 (46). - P. 86-89. (In Russian)
- Likhachev, T.P. Analysis and evaluation of the benefits of Krasnoyarsk in comparison with cities candidates for the Universiade 2019 / T.P. Likhachev, O. Ryzhkov, Y. Ulas / / Vestnik Sibirskogo gosudarstvennogo aerokosmicheskogo universiteta im. akademika M.F. Reshetneva. - 2012. - № 6 (46). - P. 107-113. (In Russian)
- Nikolaev, Yu.M. Physical culture and sport in the context of sports and educational policy in Russia / Yu.M. Nikolaev // Teoriya i praktika fizicheskoy kultury. - 2013. - № 4. - P. 103-104. (In Russian)
- Pushkarev, I.N. Adaptation of students to the educational process in the system of modern higher education / I.N. Pushkarev, S.V. Kumskaya, S.A. Novoselov // Teoriya i praktika fizicheskoy kultury. - 2010. - № 3. - P. 55-57. (In Russian)
Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org