PhD, Associate Professor N.V. Arnst1
Dr.Hab., Associate Professor T.A. Martirosova1
PhD, Associate Professor A.A. Melnichuk1
Associate Professor K.M. Evsyukova1
1Reshetnev Siberian State Aerospace University, Krasnoyarsk
Objective of the study was to conduct a theoretical analysis to identify the essence of the concept "mental retardation", determine the degrees of mental retardation, develop an adaptive methodology of physical training of children with mental retardation and show its effectiveness by experiment, determine the effectiveness of the developed methodology.
Methods and structure of the study. In the course of the current scientific work, we developed and proposed the adaptive methodology of physical training of children with mental retardation. The developed methodology as an algorithm of targeted actions consisted in the adjustment and development of motor qualities of trainees through physical exercises coupled with respiratory gymnastics, as well as techniques and methods aimed to achieve the desired result taking into account the features of development of mentally retarded children.
The methodology was tested at the premises of the remedial school of Krasnoyarsk. The Experimental and Control Groups were made of the 10-11 year-olds. The Experimental group subjects were trained using special exercises to develop physical qualities.
Results of the study and conclusions. The developed methodology contributes to the development of physical qualities of children with mental retardation. Throughout the study, there was a positive dynamics in physical development rates of the 4th-5th-graders of the Experimental group.
Keywords: mental retardation, adaptive methodology, physical development, intellectual disability, physical education.
- Dmitriev A.A. Organizatsiya dvigatelnoy aktivnosti umstvenno otstalykh detey [Organization of motor activity of mentally retarded children]. M.: Sovetskiy sport publ., 1991. 32 p.
- Dmitriev A.A. Fizicheskaya kultura v spetsialnom obrazovanii [Physical education in special education]. M.: Akademiya publ., 2002. 176 p.
- Dolgacheva A.V. Innovatsionnaya metodika fizicheskogo vospitaniya detey s zaderzhkoy psihicheskogo razvitiya [innovative physical education methodology for mentally retarded children]. Fizicheskaya kultura. 2007. No. 2. pp. 78-79.
- Klassifikatsiya psikhicheskikh i povedencheskikh rasstroystv [Classification of mental and behavioral disorders]. St. Petersburg: Adis publ., 1994. 304 p.
- Tokarskaya L.V., Dubrovina N.A., Babiychuk N.N. Osobennosti prepodavaniya fizicheskoy kulturyi detyam i podrostkam s umerennoy i tyazheloy umstvennoy otstalostyu. «Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie osobennosti detey i podrostkov s umerennoy i tyazheloy umstvennoy otstalostyu [Features of teaching physical education to children and adolescents with moderate and severe mental retardation. “Psychological and pedagogical features of children and adolescents with moderate and severe mental retardation]. Yekaterinburg: Ural University publ., 2015. p. 8-25.