Post-retirement re-socializing and adaptation challenges faced by sport elite: questionnaire surveyt
PhD, Associate Professor I.V. Fedotova1
Dr.Med., Professor M.E. Statsenko2
PhD I.S. Tamozhnikova1
1Volgograd State Academy of Physical Culture, Volgograd
2Volgograd State Medical University, Volgograd
Modern elite athletes comprise a special social group that enjoys, on the peak of its competitive form, high social recognition and demonstrates high fortitude and willpower – and at the same time and for the same reasons is highly vulnerable in the post-retirement transitional period when the lifelong goals, standards and values systems are no more relevant and new life needs to be built up from scratch on the totally different basis. The article analyzes the post-retirement re-socializing challenges faced by the sport elite in the first five years upon retirement from active trainings and competitions. We used a special questionnaire survey form to find the health and social problems faced by the elite athletes at that time. Sampled for the survey were 364 newly retired elite athletes whose re-socializing processes and challenges were tested by 102 case studies with a special attention to their health disorders and addictions (alcohol and tobacco); sleeping disorders; body weight growths; and the growing communication difficulties at work that may be considered predictors of the de-adaptive disorders in the physical and social health triggered by retirement from active sports. The mental and physical health disorders may evolve with time to serious antisocial issues in the post-retirement re-socializing process of the former sport elite.
Keywords: re-socializing challenges, former sport elite, post-retirement transitional period.
- Kogan O.S. Formirovaniya zdorovya vyisokoklassnyih sportsmenov posle zaversheniya kareryi v sporte vyisshih dostizheniy [Formation of health of elite post-retirement athletes in elite sports]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kulturyi. 2006. no.5. pp. 28-32
- Kogan O.S. Kharakteristika sostoyaniya zdorovya sportsmenov-professionalov po pokazatelyam hronicheskoy zabolevaemosti [Characteristics of health status of professional athletes by chronic morbidity indices]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kulturyi. 2009. no. 4. pp. 26- 32.
- Maltsev A.A. Znachenie sotsialnoy kompetentnosti v sporte vyisshih dostizheniy [Value of social competency in elite sports]. Regionalnoe obrazovanie XXI veka: problemyi i perspektivy. 2012. no. 5. pp. 373-376.
- Matsukevich O.Yu. Sotsiokulturnaya resotsializatsiya lichnosti v trudnoy zhiznennoy situatsii [Socio-cultural re-socialization of individual in difficult life situation]. Vestnik Tambovskogo universiteta. Ser.: Gumanitarnyie nauki. 2012. no. 3 (107). pp. 177-181.
- Perinskaya N.A. Resotsializatsiya [Resocialization]. Znanie. Ponimanie. Umenie. 2005. no. 4. pp. 161-162.
- Sedova N.N. Teoriya i praktika primeneniya kachestvennyih metodov sotsiologii v meditsine [Theory and practice of using qualitative sociological methods in medicine]. Meditsinskiy vestnik Severnogo Kavkaza. 2015. v. 10. no. 3 (39). pp. 327-331.
- Fedotova I.V., Delaru V.V., Statsenko M.E. Osnovnyie priznaki psihosotsialnoy dizadaptatsii byivshih sportsmenov-igrovikov v rannem postsportivnom periode [Key signs of psychosocial disadaptation of former team athletes in post-retirement transitional period]. Volgogradskiy nauchno-meditsinskiy zhurnal. 2010. no. 3 (27). pp. 10-13.
- Fedotova I.V., Statsenko M.E. Meditsinskaya dizadaptatsiya i chastota vstrechaemosti hronicheskih zabolevaniy u eks-sportsmenov v zavisimosti o vozrasta [Medical disadaptation and frequency of of chronic diseases in ex-athletes depending on age]. Vestnik Volgogradskogo gosudarstvennogo meditsinskogo universiteta. 2013. no. 1 (45). pp. 98-100.
- Fedotova I.V., Statsenko M.E., Sukhoruchko M.A. Eticheskiy kontent sotsialnoy adaptatsii eks-sportsmenov [Ethical content of social adaptation of ex-athletes]. Bioetika. 2016. no. 2 (18). pp. 39-41.
- Shikhverdiev S.N. Tseli, zadachi i formy resotsializatsii sportsmenov na etape zaversheniya professionalnoy kareryi [Goals, objectives and forms of re-socialization of athletes at professional career completion stage]. Uchenye zapiski universiteta im. P.F. Lesgafta. 2007. no 5. pp. 97-100.