Precedent phenomenon in sport toponymy
PhD, Associate Professor G.Kh. Murtazina1
PhD, Associate Professor N.G. Boykova1
PhD N.Yu. Berdysheva1
PhD M.S. Golokova1
1Lesgaft National State University of Physical Education, Sport and Youth, St. Petersburg
Proper names in toponymy normally refer to some ideologems of the relevant historical period and/or social ideology. The study was designed to analyze and classify the onomastic lexicon in the sport domain on the whole and overview the precedent phenomenon in the sport toponymy in particular. Proper names in the modern sport toponymy may often be referred to as the precedent phenomenon, with different social groups developing their own perceptions of the same sport-specific name under influence of different extra-linguistic factors, with the core role played by the mass media activity in the social imaging and stereotyping process. In the reform (perestroika) and post-reform periods in the modern Russian history, the flow of precedent phenomena in toponymy – with the new personified toponymic symbols being created and the old ones rejected – was rather situational and non-systemic due to the still contradictory and immature national Russian ideology. The ideological gap is being bridged, among other things, by the Soviet-time names of stadiums (Spartak, Krylya Sovetov, Labor, Tractor, Chemist, Metallurgist etc.) being commercialized. The corporate sponsors entering into the sport facility commercializing contract would strive to win loyalty of the supporting population via the local mass media and in the sport events, with the stadium space is effectively used for the corporate brand name promotion purposes. Objective of the study was to analyze and classify the modern sport toponyms and public attitudes to the new commercial names of the Russian stadiums.
Keywords: precedent toponymy, onomastics, commercial names, names of stadiums.
- Karaulov Yu.N. Russkiy yazyk i yazykovaya lichnost [Russian language and language personality]. vol. 7. M.: LKI publ., 2010. 264 p.
- Olenev D.S., Chernov A.V. K probleme sportivnogo diskursa: neyming otechestvennykh klubov kak indikator sotsialnykh transformatsiy [Sports discourse: naming of domestic clubs as indicator of social transformations]. ChGU Vestnik Cherepovetskogo GU. ChSU publ., 2010. pp. 59-64.
- Podolskaya N.V. Slovar russkoy onomasticheskoy terminologii [Dictionary of Russian onomastic terminology]. M.: Nauka publ., 1978. 199 p.
- Pochinkin A.V., Dimitrova I.L., Visheyko S.V. Brendirovanie sportivnoy organizatsii [Branding sports organization]. MGAFK Uchenye zapiski universiteta im. P.F. Lesgafta. 2016. no. 6. pp. 128-132.
- Superanskaya A.V., Staltmane V.E., Podolskaya N.V., Sultanov A.Kh. Teoriya i metodika onomasticheskikh issledovaniy [Theory and methods of onomastic research]. M.: LKI publ., 2007. 256 p.
- Beech J., Chadwick S. The marketing of Sport. Prentice Hall and Financial Times.-London, 2007.592p.
- T.van Dijk. Ideologi: multidisciplinari approach. SAGE, London, 1998.-384p.
- Wierzbicka A. Semantics: primes and universals.-Oxford: Oxford University Press, UK, 1996. 512 p.