Performance mobilizing mental control mechanisms in sports
Dr.Hab., Professor Yu.V. Baykovsky1
Dr.Biol., Professor N.G. Samoylov2
PhD, Associate Professor A.V. Aleshicheva2
1Russian State University of Physical Education, Sports, Youth and Tourism (SCOLIPE), Moscow
2Ryazan State Medical University named after academician I.P. Pavlov, Ryazan
Mental health is considered one of the key factors for the athletic personality progress supported by the relevant motivations, values, ethical and spiritual priorities etc. The study analyzes the performance mobilizing mental control mechanisms in sports. It was assumed that these mechanisms comprise an indispensable part of the individual behavior control system. The study found that the ethical and spiritual values and priorities may be considered a core element of an athletic personality of special importance for the performance mobilizing when required by the sport-specific extreme situations. The individual ethical and spiritual resource was found to catalyze performance under pressure and improve the stress tolerance. The study found correlations of the values and priorities in their synergy with anticipation qualities and analyzed the sport-specific benefits of the generally negative personality qualities (like depression, anxiety, frustration etc.) in the situations when the individual psychophysical resource needs to be mobilized to take the risks. Based on the study data, we offer a fortitude building concept, with the fortitude viewed as a sort of ‘organ’ or separate system to mobilize the spiritual and ethical personality values and priorities for success under pressure. Fortitude was found correlated with the individual willpower, with their synergy helping overcome the personality contradictions with their ‘internal intellectual background’. On the whole, the individual ethical and spiritual values and priorities with their conscientious energizing aspects were classified as the uplifting and inspiring power of special effect on the volitional control in sports.
Keywords: performance mobilizing mental control mechanism, extreme situations, ethical and spiritual resource, willpower, fortitude.
- Alyoshicheva A.V. Sostoyanie psikhologicheskogo zdorovya basketbolistov raznogo urovnya kvalifikatsii [State of psychological health of basketball players of different skill levels]. Sportivny psikholog. 2017. no. 2 (45). pp. 33-38.
- Vekker L.M. Psikhicheskie protsessy [Mental processes]. [In 3 v.]. Leningrad: Leningrad university publ., 1974, v. 1. Sensation and perception. 334 p.
- Galkina T.V.; Zhuravlev A.L., Volovikova M.I., Galkina T.V. [ed.]. Osoznanie kak put k psikhologicheskomu i fizicheskomu zdorovyu sub'ekta [Awareness as a path to mental and physical health of individual]. Psihologicheskoe zdorove lichnosti i duhovno-nravstvennye problemy sovremennogo rossiyskogo obshchestva [Psychological health of individual and spiritual-moral problems of modern Russian society]. M.: Institut psihologii RAN, 2014. pp. 35-61.
- Dzhidaryan I.A.; Zhuravlev A.L., Volovikova M.I., Galkina T.V. [ed.] Psikhologicheskoe zdorove: problema nauki ili udvoenie ponyatiy? [Psychological health: problem of science or doubling of concepts?]. Psikhologicheskoe zdorovye lichnosti i dukhovno-nravstvennye problemy sovremennogo rossiyskogo obschestva [Psychological health of individual and spiritual and moral problems of modern Russian society]. M.: Institute of Psychology, Russian Academy of Sciences, 2014. pp. 19- 34.
- Ivannikov V.A. Psikhologicheskie mekhanizmy volevoy regulyatsii [Psychological mechanisms of volitional regulation]. St. Petersburg: Piter, 2006. 208 p.
- Chuprikova N.I. Psikhika i psikhicheskie protsessy (sistema ponyatiy obshchey psihologii) [Mind and mental processes (system of concepts of general psychology)]. M.: Yazyki slavyanskoy kultury, 2015. pp. 100, 107-108.
- Yurov I.A., Melnikov V.M. Psikhologizatsiya sportivnoy deyatelnosti [Psychologization of sports activities]. Nauchno-pedagogicheskie shkoly v sfere fizicheskoy kultury i sporta [Scientific and pedagogical schools in the physical education and sport sector]. Proc. intern. res.-pract. congr. devoted to 100th anniversary of SCOLIPE, May 30-31 2018, v. 2; Yu.V. Baykovksy, V.A. Moskvin, V.F. Sopov [ed.]. М.: RSUPESYT, 2018. pp. 27-31.
- Beable S., Fulcher M., Lee A.C., Hamilton B. SHARPSports mental Health Awareness Research Project: Prevalence and risk factors of depressive symptoms and life stress in elite athletes. | Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2017. 20 (12), pp. 1047-1052.
- Blodgett A.T., Ge Y., Schinke R.J., McGannon K.R. Intersecting identities of elite female boxers: Stories of cultural difference and marginalization in sport. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, Volume 32, September 2017, pp, 83-92.
- Tamminen K.A., Poucher Z.A. Open science in sport and exercise psychology: Review of current approaches and considerations for qualitative inquiry. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, Volume 36, May 2018, pp, 17-28.