PhD S.Y. Kanina1
Associate Professor, PhD O.E. Romanovskaya1
PhD E.V. Ermolaeva1
1Ulyanovsk State Pedagogikal University, Ulyanovsk
The given study overviews the growing roles and challenges of the newborn sport service volunteer movement in Russia, with still poor sport-specific English speaking skills being ranked among the most critical problems. The authors offer a new sports-specific ‘English language for international sport event servicing’ express-course developed and piloted at Ulyanovsk State Pedagogical University named after I.N. Ulyanov and applicable to train school/ university students willing to join the sport volunteer system. The express-course makes a special emphasis on the efficient learning techniques and sport-specific glossaries with the standard phrases and idiomatic expressions and other tools to secure fast progress in the modern sport-specific English. The present article gives practical learning recommendations and overviews a set of special practices to improve the bilingual skills of the future sport volunteers for success in their practical service.
Keywords: sports events, volunteer movement, teaching professional English vocabulary, communication in foreign languages, language proficiency, lexical selection.
- Alekseeva L.E. Optimizatsiya protsessa obucheniya inoyazyichnomu professionalno orientirovannomu obscheniyu studentov fakulteta mezhdunarodnyih otnosheniy. Na materiale angliyskogo yazyika [Optimization of foreign language business communication learning process for International Relations Faculty students. Case study of English language]. PhD diss.. Moscow: RGB publ., 2003.
- Andreeva L.N. Delovoy angliyskiy yazyik kak sredstvo formirovaniya sotsialnoy kompetentnosti studentov ekonomicheskih spetsialnostey [Business English to build social competeny in economics students]. PhD diss. St. Petersburg, 2008, 146 p.
- Babinskaya P.K. , Maslyko E.A. Nastolnaya kniga prepodavatelya inostrannogo yazyika. [Handbook of foreign language teacher]. 9th ed.. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola publ., 2004. 530 p.
- Barabasheva S.S. Obuchenie delovomu angliyskomu yazyiku turisticheskogo profilya pri uglublennom ovladenii yazyikom v starshih klassah [Teaching tourism business English within advances language learning process in senior school]. PhD diss. Moscow, 2007, 228 p.
- Ermolaeva E.V., Kanina S.Yu. Puti povyisheniya motivatsii uchaschihsya v obuchenii angliyskomu yazyiku na sredney stupeni [Ways to increase students' motivation to learn basic English]. Soobschestvo uchiteley angliyskogo yazyika [The community of teachers of English] Interactive scientific and methodological journal, 2013. http: //www.tea4er.ru/home/volume4
- Shchukin A.N., Frolova G.M. Metodika prepodavaniya inostrannyih yazyikov [Foreign languages teaching methods]. University textbook. Moscow: Akademiya publ., 2015, 288 p.
- Beard A. The Language of Sport. Routledge, 2016, 117 p.
- Frommer H. Sports Lingo: A Dictionary of the Language of Sports. NY: Atheneum, 1979, 302 p.