Dr.Hab., Associate Professor L.I. Kostyunina1
Dr.Sc.Cult., Associate Professor A.Y. Tikhonova1
Dr.Hab., Professor I.N. Timoshina1
1Ulyanovsk State Pedagogical University named after I.N. Ulyanov, Ulyanovsk
Keywords: historical sports heritage, artifacts, Regional Sport History Museum, students.
Background. Modern challenges for the human development and intellectual progress focused initiatives urge the national cultural sector to give a special priority to the national cultural and sports heritage promotion initiatives, particularly in the local/ regional communities and educational establishments – to consolidate the local youth and cultivate patriotism . Most of the studies are focused on the top-ranking global events like Olympic Games, World University Games etc. and their heritage in contexts of the social/ economic progress, sport infrastructure development projects and mass physical education and sports movements in the host countries ; whilst the local/ regional historical and sporting heritages are largely overshadowed by the global events and remain unexplored – with a detriment to the sport history with its documentary and material evidence and, hence, negative effects on the initiatives to facilitate interest of the local/ regional young population to sport events and physical education and sports movements and encourage patriotism, knowledge of the local accomplishments and national pride [2, 3, 8].
Objective of the study was to to offer conceptual provisions for a Regional Sport History Museum viewed as the local human resource development and youth consolidation resource, with the Ulyanovsk Oblast taken for the case study.
Methods of the study included the dialectical, comparative historical, chronological methods and diachronous analysis.
Results and discussion. A special priority in the Regional Sport History Museum development concept was given to the modern theoretical and practical approaches including cultural, historical, axiological and integrative ones. The cultural approach was intended to analyze the regional sport progress in the context of the history and theory of the national culture with its paradigms and categories. The cultural approach with its historical dimension gives the means to mobilize the sport-cultural heritage of the relevant region to develop the local human resource and cultivate patriotism and civic responsibility . The historical approach was focused on the cultural heritage of the regional (Ulyanovsk Oblast) sports in the historical context with the documentary and material progress evidence of the regional physical education and sports sector. The axiological approach helped identify the cultural values of the regional communities, progress of the young people’s physical education and sports competences with the growing appreciation of the regional, national and global competitive processes and events. And the integrative approach gave the means for a creative multisided analysis of the modern tools for the sport heritage protection and conservation.
As far as the relevant valid legal and regulatory framework is concerned, the Regional Sport History Museum is established in compliance with the key provisions of the Socio-economic Development Concept of the Russian Federation for the period up to 2020, including its priority to the cultural progress in every social and political field; understanding of the Russian culture as an indispensable part of the global cultural process; protection of the local tangible and intangible cultural assets of Russian people when they come in conflict with individual/ corporate proprietary interests; and due priority to the key goals of the national cultural policies with their sensitivity to the local cultural assets and heritage etc. .
For the last few years the Ulyanovsk Oblast has hosted a few high ranking sport events including the First International Festival of National Sports and Games of the CIS Countries (2017) with the theoretical discussions of the ways to protect and promote the local sport heritage. The participants to the discussions emphasized the need in a sport museum system development concept for the country with the relevant standards to lay a foundation of the necessary legal, institutional, financial and economical provisions for the national sport heritage conservation and promotion projects.
The 2016 World Bandy Championship hosted by the Ulyanovsk Oblast was viewed by at least 2 million spectators the world over and gave a great impetus to the local junior bandy groups enjoying the services of the brand-new Volga-Sports Arena Ice Palace and multiple physical education and sports Centers equipped with the ice fields – that may be ranked with the material heritage of the Championship. The champion title won by the Russian national team may be considered the intangible heritage of the event that has helped cultivate sporting values and priorities in the local young people’s communities, motivate the local junior athletes and consolidate the supporter communities by the patriotic feelings and pride for the country [1, 7].
The VII (2018) International Sports Forum ‘Russia – a Sporting Nation’ was the latest high-ranking event hosted by the Ulyanovsk Oblast that heavily contributed to the growing experience and authority of the Oblast and country on the whole in at least the following: modern sport services; physical education and sports technologies; interregional cooperation in the physical education and sports movements, sport assets development and sport history recording and promotion initiatives; and in the local mass sports advancement and habitual physical education and sports encouragement projects .
Conclusion. The project to establish the Regional Sport History Museum is intended to protect and promote the local sport history on the whole and sport heritage left behind by the top-ranking sport events in particular; design and implement new promotion and elucidation technologies to help the communities benefit from the sport heritage; protect and disseminate the best cultural traditions in their physical education and sports domain; and encourage constructive cooperation of the relevant federal and local physical education and sports agencies and institutions with the research, sports and education communities.
The efforts to promote the historical heritage and accomplishments of the regional physical education and sports sector will facilitate inflow of young human resource in the physical education and sports movements, dilute the basis of extremism and terrorism, and cultivate patriotism, civic responsibility, national pride and tolerance in the young people for sustainable progress of the national human resource.
- Aliev M.N., Jandarov D.Z. Znachenie fizicheskoy kulturyi i sporta v patrioticheskom vospitanii uchashcheysya molodezhi [Importance of Physical education and sports in Patriotic Education of Young Students]. Vestnik YaGU. 2009. vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 52-57.
- Gubernator i Pravitelstvo Ulyanovskoy oblasti: ofitsialny sayt [Governor and Government of Ulyanovsk Region: official website] [Electronic resource]. Available at: https://ulgov.ru/ (date of access: 01.10.2018).
- Efimov D.G. Stanovlenie i razvitie fizicheskoy kultury i sporta v gosudarstvennykh uchrezhdeniyakh Rossii: 1861–1917 [Formation and development of physical education and sports in state institutions of Russia: 1861–1917]. PhD. diss. abstract. St. Petersburg, 2000. 32 p.
- Istyagina-Eliseeva E.A., Barienikova E.E. Organizatsiya kompleksa meropriyatiy po propagande fizicheskoy kultury i sporta v Rossiyskoy Federatsii na osnove materialov istoricheskogo sportivnogo naslediya [Organization of measures on promotion of physical culture and sport in the Russian Federation based on historical sports heritage materials]. Fizicheskaya kultura: vospitanie, obrazovanie, trenirovka, 2015, no. 3, pp. 60-62.
- Kostyunina L.I. Novy vzglyad na sistemu sportivnoy podgotovki [New look at the system of sports training]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 2010, no. 2, P. 60.
- Lubysheva L.I. Sportivnaya kultura v filosofskom, istoricheskom i sotsialno pedagogicheskom izmereniyah [Sports culture in philosophical, historical and socio-pedagogical dimensions]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 2014, no. 5, P 30.
- Rustamov A.Y. Patrioticheskoe vospitanie uchashchikhsya starshikh klassov sredstvami fizicheskoy kulturyi i sporta [Patriotic education of high school students using physical education and sports]. PhD. diss. abstract. Makhachkala, 2005, 24 p.
- Solovyev P.V. Fizicheskaya kultura i sport v sotsiokulturnom razvitii sibirskogo goroda Tomska: 192–-1941 [Physical education and sport in socio-cultural development of Siberian city of Tomsk: 192–1941]. PhD. diss. abstract. Tomsk, 2007, 24 p.
- Tikhonova A.Y., Chaplanova M.A. Istoriya organizatsii muzeynogo dela v regionah [History of organization of museum business in the regions]. Fundamentalnye issledovaniya, 2015, no. 8–3, pp. 611-615; Available at: http://fundamental-research.ru/ru/article/view?id=38950 (date of access: 23.10.2018).
Corresponding author: likost@ mail.ru
Objective of the study was to offer conceptual provisions for a regional museum of sport history using a variety of study methods including the dialectical, comparative historical, chronological methods and diachronous analysis. A special priority in the Regional Sport History Museum design concept was given to the modern theoretical and practical approaches including the cultural, historical, axiological and integrative ones. The cultural approach was used to analyze the regional sport progress in the context of the history and theory of the national culture with its paradigms and categories. The historical approach was focused on the cultural heritage of the regional (Ulyanovsk Oblast) sports in the historical context with the documentary evidence and artifacts of the regional physical education and sports sector. The axiological approach helped identify the cultural values of the regional communities and progress of the young people’s physical education and sports competences with the growing appreciation of the regional, national and global competitive processes and events. And the integrative approach gave the means for a creative multisided analysis of the modern tools for the sport heritage protection and conservation. It is underlined that the efforts to promote the historical heritage and accomplishments of the regional physical education and sports sector facilitate inflow of young human resource in the physical education and sports movements, dilute the basis of extremism and terrorism, and cultivate patriotism, national pride and tolerance in young people for sustainable progress of the national human resource.