Teoriya i praktika fizicheskoy kultury №7 2019
Master of Sports Peulic Jovica1
1M.K. Ammosov North-Eastern Federal University, Yakutsk
Success in the modern basketball game is known to depend on the teamwork quality secured by perfect understanding and cooperation of the players and coaches – that need to be put on a sound verbal communication basis with certain universality of standard phrases and signals, particularly when the teams and coaches are bi- or multilingual that is not unusual for the elite sports nowadays. It may be stated with confidence that modern basketball has worked out its own communication toolkit (glossary) to secure perfect mutual understanding in the sport community (that involves players, coaches, referees and supporters) facilitated by the commonly acknowledged terms to define every game element and goal and efficiently design and manage the teamwork for success. Objective of the study was to overview the modern multilingual basketball glossary. The authors analyzed for the purposes of the study the available Russian, Serbian and foreign literature on the subject to summarize the universal international terms and meanings that refer to the key elements of the modern basketball game plus those with reference to the basketball rules – critical for understanding of every referees’ verdict on every game issue and action.
It is emphasized that a perfect understanding and cooperation in a basketball team is paramount for success and this is the reason why the language barriers in communication of the teammates and coaches need to be totally removed to avoid unnecessary psychological tension and stressors, otherwise the game cannot be fully harmonized and efficient. This is the reason why the modern elite basketball teams need to be at least fully bilingual i.e. fluent in English and their national languages.
Keywords: basketball, basketball terms and definitions, communication, understanding, players, coaches.
- Lubysheva L.I., Zagrevskaya A.I., Peredelsky A.A. et al. Sportizatsiya v sisteme fizicheskogo vospitaniya: ot nauchnoy idei k innovatsionnoy praktike [Sportization in physical education system: from scientific idea to innovative practice]. Moscow: Teoriya i praktika fizicheskoy kultury i sporta publ., 2006. 174 p., il.
- Lubysheva L.I. Sportizatsiya obrazovaniya: ot nauchnoy idei k innovatsionnoy praktike [Sportization of education: from scientific ideas to innovative practice]. Nauchno-pedagogicheskie shkolyi v sfere sporta i fizicheskogo vospitaniya [Pedagogical research schools in sports and physical education]. Proc. I nat. res.-prac. conf. with intern. part.. M.: RSUPESYT publ., 2016. pp 32-42.
- Peulic Y. Istoriya i budushchee basketbola v Yakutske. Sostoyanie i perspektivy razvitiya massovyih vidov sporta i turizma na Severo-Vostoke Rossii [History and future of basketball in Yakutsk. State and prospects of development of mass sports and tourism in the North-East of Russia]. Proc. nat. extram. res.-prac. conf.. Yakutsk, 25-26 April 2016. pp. 11-25.
- Cherkashin I.A. Krivoruchenko E.V., Skryabin S.P., Okhlopkov P.P. Nauchno-metodicheskoe obespechenie podgotovki sportivnogo rezerva Respubliki Sakha (Yakutiya) [Methodological support of training of sports reserve of Republic of Sakha (Yakutia)]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 2015, no. 10, pp. 51-53.
- Birdsong, D. (2006). Age and Second Language Acquisition and Processing: A Selective Overview. LanguageLearning.
- Budinčić V. (2010). Engleskaterminologija u sportu (magistarski rad), Banja Luka: Filološkifakultet.
- Crystal D. (2001). Language and the Internet. Cambridge: CambridgeUniversityPress.
- FIBA 2010. Official basketball rules 2010, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Karalejić M., Jakovljević, S. (2008). Teorijaimetodikakošarke. Beograd, FSFV.
- Koković D. (2000). Sociologijasporta, Beograd: Sportskaakademija.
- Kozlovski M. (1998). Rječnikameričkihkošarkaškihizrazaipojmova, Hrvatskikošarkaškisavez; Udrugahrvatskihkošarkaškihtrenera, Zagreb.
- Milić M. (2002). Standardizacija sportske terminologije, saopštenje na Desetom međunarodnom interdisciplinarnom simpozijumu Sport, fizička aktivnost i zdravlje mladih, Novosadski maraton, Novi Sad.
- Schutz A. (1981). Sociology of Sport International Review. Toronto: Smoll&Wood.