Applicant K.M. Gura1
Dr.Hab., Professor I.V. Manzheley1
1Tyumen State University, Tyumen
The study makes an attempt to clarify service responsibilities and goals of a sport psychologist in the children and youth sports and introduces a notion of resource status and individual mental resource provisioning in sports. A questionnaire survey and interviews showed that the coaches expect more from a psychologist than claim i.e. their expectations and claims are addressed to the imaginary conception of a psychologist whose responsibilities, as they believe, are limited to mental support for the athletic performance and techniques rather than personality goals, priorities, motivations and values. It was found that the adolescent athletes generally perceive and describe their mental conditions in much clearer terms than the mental processes that may help mobilize the anticipated resource with an efficient assistance from a psychologist.
Keywords: children and youth sports, sport psychologist, interview, coaches' requests, athlete’s resource status, mental conditioning.
- Alekseev A.V. Preodoley sebya! [Overcome yourself!]. 4th ed., rev., sup.. Moscow: Fizkultura i sport publ., 2003, 280 p.
- Gorskaya G.B. Lichnostnye resursy samorealizatsii sportsmena: strategii raskryitiya [Athlete's personal resources of self-realization: disclosure strategies]. Aktualnye voprosy fizicheskoy kultury i sporta, 2015, vol. 17, pp. 71-78.
- Volkov I.P. Sportivnaya psikhologiya v trudakh otechestvennykh spetsialistov [Sports psychology in works of domestic experts]. Moscow: Piter publ., 2002, 384 p.
- Gorbunov G.D. Psikhopedagogika sporta [Sport psychopedagogy]. Study guide, 4th ed., rev., sup.. Moscow. Sovetskiy sport publ., 2012, 312 p.
- Diligenskiy G.G. Sotsialno-politicheskaya psikhologiya [Socio-political psychology]. Moscow: Nauka publ., 1994, 304 p.
- Druzhilov S.A. Professionalizm kak realizatsiya resursa individualnogo razvitiya chelovek [Professionalism as realization of individual development resource]. Polzunovskiy vestnik, 2004, no. 3.
- Malkin V.R. Pochemu trener i sportivny psikholog ne mogut nayti drug druga? [Why cannot coach and sport psychologist find each other?]. Sportivny psikholog, 2005, no. 2 (5), pp. 4-9.
- Ozhegov S.I., Shvedova N.Y. Tolkovy slovar russkogo yazyika: 80 000 slov i frazeologicheskikh vyrazheniy [Dictionary of the Russian language: 80,000 words and phraseological expressions]. RAS; RCF. 2nd ed., rev., sup.. Moscow: AZ publ., 1995, 928 p.
- Rodionov A.V. Psikhologiya sporta vysshikh dostizheniy [Elite Sport Psychology]. Moscow: Fizkultura i sport publ., 1979, 144 p.
- Sopov V.F. Teoriya i metodika psikhologicheskoy podgotovki v sovremennnom sporte [Theory and methods of mental conditioning in modern sport]. Teaching aid. Moscow, 2010, 120 p.
- Taras A.E. Psikhologiya sporta: Khrestomatiya [Sport Psychology: Reader]. Moscow: AST; Harvest publ., 2005, 352 p.