1Russian State University of Physical Education, Sports, Youth and Tourism (GTSOLIFK), Moscow
2National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow
Volleyball game has demonstrated a fast progress since the moment of its invention, and this progress is verified by the growing numbers of volleyball players and national members of the International Volleyball Federation. The present popularity of the sport puts it high on the list of the most widespread global sport disciplines. The popularity of the sport is not limited by its purely competitive component since the sport shows no less important progress in the public leisure and recreation domain as the health protection, improvement and rehabilitation sporting activity. Every competitive volleyball event is regulated by certain rules and their compliance is assured by designated sport referees. The referees’ qualifying and positioning process plus their competences and skill levels are critical for the progress and efficiency of the volleyball sport progress from the amateur to professional levels, and for success of the local volleyball competitions.
Objective of the study was to find ways to optimize the referees’ competitive performance in volleyball. The study data and analysis show that the referee’s precompetitive mental conditions may range from peace of mind to general tension, emotional stress and other negative conditions. We came to conclusion that the referee’s competitive performance is largely dependent on certain mental and physiological factors determined by the individual traits including the attention scoping and concentration ability, operational memory, physical fitness etc., with the mental fitness control mechanisms being improved with the growing qualification of a referee as verified by the relevant mental condition rating criteria.
Keywords: competitive process, referee’s role, referee’s performance, psychophysiological factors, personality traits, quality of refereeing.
- Vinogradov V.A., Timokhin A.V., Polkin K.S. Metodicheskoe posobie dlya provedeniya regionalnykh seminarov po podgotovke i sovershenstvovaniyu sudey [Methodical method for conducting regional seminars on referee training and enhancement]. St. Petersburg: CJSC Berega publ.: 198, 44 p.
- Gorbachev A.I. Faktory, obuslavlivayushchie uspeshnost deyatelnosti sudi v usloviyakh sorevnovaniy (na primere voleybola). Avtoref. dis. kand. ped. nauk [Determinants of referee's successful performance in competitions (case study of volleyball). PhD diss. abstract]. Leningrad, 1976, 22 p.
- Grigoryev M., Davydov M. Nastolnaya kniga sudi [Referee's handbook]. Moscow, 1997. T.K. RFB, 39 p.
- Grigoryev M., Davydov M. Filosofiya sudeystva [Refereeing philosophy]. Moscow, 1995. T.K. RFB, 17 p.
- Gubenko L.Y. Organizatsiya i sudeystvo sorevnovaniy po voleybolu [Organization and refereeing volleyball competitions]. Moscow: Fizkultura i sport publ., 1988, 89 p.