Sports and doping: predictive apprehension of future
Dr. of Law, Professor I.V. Ponkin1
PhD, Associate Professor A.I. Lapteva2
1Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, Moscow (IPACS, RANEPA)
2Kutafin Moscow State Law University (Moscow State Law Academy), Moscow
Objective of the study was to analyze and forecast progress of global sports in the doping control context.
Methods and structure of the study. The study was designed to analyze and forecast the doping production, distribution and sports application issues.
Results and conclusion. The study made it possible to forecast the following sports progress trends in the doping control context:
• Fast advancements in the fundamentally new "technical doping" research and practical applications;
• Fast progress in new biomedical, pharmaceutical, biophysical and biotechnological solutions to bypass the existing doping control codes;
• Active advancement of new hardware and software tools, artificial intelligence (AI) and other developments;
• Gene doping research and application in sports.
We believe that the above trends are rather likely to heavily undermine progress of global sports. Special efforts need to be taken to address the modern sports doping research and application and offer new solutions to counter the mounting doping crisis in sports.
Keywords: sports, doping in sports, anti-doping codes, sports future, forecast, administrative regulations, sports law, sports medicine.
- Altukhov S.V., Vorobyev A.I. Tri Σ sportivnogo menedzhmenta. Kak ne zabluditsya v labirintakh professii [Three Σ of sports management. How not to get lost in labyrinths of profession]. M.: Plekhanova RUE publ., 2016. 228 p.
- Gibridnaya (yuridicheskaya, organizatsionnaya, informatsionnaya) voyna protiv rossiyskogo sporta. Yuridicheskiy analiz dokumentov VADA i MOK protiv rossiyskogo sporta 2015–2017 [Hybrid (legal, organizational, informational) war against Russian sports. Legal analysis of WADA and IOC documents against Russian sport 2015–2017]. Collected works. Consortium of sports law specialists. M.: Buki Vedi publ., 2018. 401 p.
- Gosudarstvennoe upravlenie v sfere sporta: Uchebnik dlya magistrov [Public administration in sports: masters’ textbook]. Department of Sports Law of the Institute of Contemporary Applied Law of Kutafin Moscow State Law University (Moscow State Law Academy). M.: Buki Vedi publ., 2017. 485 p.
- Degtyarev M.V. Zarubezhny opyt administrativno-pravovogo regulirovaniya antidopingovykh mer v sporte [Foreign experience of administrative and legal regulation of anti-doping measures in sports]. PhD diss. 12.00.14 RANEPA under the President of the Russian Federation. M., 2020. 213 p.
- Heizinga J. Homo ludens. Chelovek igrayushchiy [Homo ludens. Playing person]. Transl. from Netherl. by D.V. Silvestrova; D.E. Kharitonovich (com.). St. Petersburg: Ivan Limbah publ., 2011. 416 p.
- Artificial intelligence to assist anti-doping efforts of WADA. <https://www.dotsquares.com/news_events/artificial-intelligence-assist-an.... 29.03.2018.
- Körner S., Schardien S., Steven-Vitense B., Albach S., etc. Gene Doping – The Future of Doping? Teaching Unit: Gene Doping in Competitive Sports. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2016. 151 p.
- May J. Drug enforcement agency turns to A.I. to help sniff out doping athletes. <https://www.digitaltrends.com/outdoors/wada-artificial-intelligence-dopi.... 29.03.2018.