1Federal Researcher Centre of Nutrition and Biotechnology, Moscow, Russia
Objective of the study was to conduct a comparative assessment of the physical development rates in boys and adolescents living in different regions of the Russian Federation.
Methods and structure of the study. The anthropometric studies involved the 7-18 year-old males (n=243) living in Moscow, Russia. We measured the subjects' body length and body mass and calculated the body mass index. The data obtained were compared with the physical development rates in the children and adolescents collected in the "Health Centers" of 5 regions of the Russian Federation from 2010 to 2012.
Results and conclusions. The comparative analysis of physical development rates revealed statistically significant differences between the data we had obtained and the literary data. The sample population was found to have significantly higher body length rates in the age groups of 7-10 and 13-15 years, body mass rates - in the groups of 9, 10, 13, and 18 years, and BMI - in the groups of 10, 13, and 18 years. When comparing the literary data, we found that in the Chuvash region, boys and adolescents are shorter and have lower body mass and body mass indices as compared to children living in other regions.
The authors conclude that physical development rates are informative indicators of the state of health of the child population of different regions of the Russian Federation. The data obtained can be used for a comparative assessment of the level of physical development of children living in different regions of the Russian Federation.
Keywords: physical development, anthropometry, physical status, children, boys and adolescents.
- Deryabin V.E. Mnogomernye biometricheskie metody dlya antropologov [Multidimensional biometric methods for anthropologists]. M., 2001. Manuscript deposited at VINITI. No. 37. 2001. 311 p.
- Makarova S.G. Deystvitelno li sushchestvuet neobhodimost v sozdanii «regionalnykh pertsentilnykh krivykh» masso-rostovykh pokazateley? (kommentariy k state R.R. Kildiyarovoy «Otsenka fizicheskogo razvitiya detey s pomoschyu pertsentilnykh diagramm») [Is there really need to create “regional percentile curves” of mass-growth indicators? (Commentary to the article by R.R. Kildiyarova “Rating physical development of children using percentile diagrams”)]. Voprosy sovremennoy pediatrii. 2017. No. 16 (5). pp. 438–440. doi: 10.15690/vsp.v16i5.1809
- Normy dlya otsenki rosta detey [Norms for rating growth of children]. Available at: https://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/bmi_for_age/ru/
- Rudnev S.G., Soboleva N.P., Sterlikov S.A. Bioimpedansnoe issledovanie sostava tela naseleniya Rossii [Bioimpedance study of body composition of Russian population]. M.: TsNIIOIZ publ., 2014. 493 p. ISBN 5–94116–018–6
- Tutelyan V.A., Nikityuk D.B., Burlyaeva E.A. Ispolzovanie metoda kompleksnoy antropometrii v sportivnoy i klinicheskoy praktike: metodicheskie rekomendatsii [Using method of complex anthropometry in sports and clinical practice: guidelines]. M.: Sport publ., 2018. 64 p. https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=32388004