Effects of competitive stressors on psychosomatic health
PhD, Associate Professor M.E. Guzich
Surgut State University, Surgut
In the XXI century sports have evolved into an influential social phenomenon due to their growing popularity with inevitable scandals, with the elite sports ranked nowadays among the core sectors of national interests. It is hard to find a person indifferent to national sport successes and failures – not always logical and comprehensible enough. Objective of the present study was to find correlations of the sport-specific competitive stressors with the athletes’ psychosomatic health standards. Sampled for the study were 30 boxers split up into Experimental Group 1 of actively competing individuals (n=15); and Experimental Group 2 of the boxers who failed to qualify for the top-ranking seasonal competitions (n=15). Both of the groups were tested for the behavioral self-control styles, willpower and mental health disorders by the V.I. Morosanova behavioral self-control tests; V.V. Chumakov Volitional Qualities Rating Test; and the Giessen Psychosomatic Complaints Questionnaire. The study found both of the groups, irrespective of the competitive process intensity, being exposed to the external uncertainty stressors with the associating mental and somatic health issues. The actively competing Experimental Group1, however, was tested with strong correlations of the test rates versus the inactive Experimental Group 2 that showed no such correlations whatsoever.
Keywords: competitive performance, stressors, behavioral self-control styles, volitional qualities, personality priorities, psycho-emotional and psychosomatic health.
- Akhatov A.M., Rabotin I.V. Psikhologicheskaya podgotovka sportsmenov [Psychological training of athletes]. Naberezhnye Chelny: KAMSAPEST publ., 2008. 56 p.
- Vasin V. Khozyaeva gotovy. Slovo za olimpiytsami [Hosts are ready, time for Olympic athletes]. Olimpiyskaya panorama. 2007. no. 2 (86). pp. 45-48.
- Grekhova I.P., Guzich M.E Otsenka vzaimosvyazi lichnostnykh i psihosomaticheskikh kharakteristik sportsmenov v raznykh usloviyakh deyatelnosti [Boxers’ personality qualities versus psychosomatics rating in different competitive situations]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury. 2018. no. 11. pp. 85-87.
- Guzich M.E., Grekhova I.P. Psikhoemotsionalnoe i psikhosomaticheskoe sostoyanie bokserov v raznykh usloviyakh sportivnoy deyatelnosti [Psycho-emotional and psychosomatic status test rates in boxing]. Teoriya i praktika fiz. kultury, 2018, no. 3, pp. 83-85.
- Lubysheva L.I. Sovremenny sport: problemy i resheniya [Modern sport: problems and solutions]. Vestnik YuUrGU. 2014. no.1. pp. 12-14.
- Malkina-Pykh I.G. Psikhosomatika [Psychosomatics]. Handbook of the Practical Psychologist. M.: Eksmo, 2005. 992 p.
- Morozov A.V. Psikhologicheskie problemy rossiyskogo sporta (navstrechu XXXI Letnim Olimpiyskim igram v Rio-de-Zhaneyro) [Psychological problems of Russian sports (towards XXXI Summer Olympic Games in Rio)]. Natsionalny psikhologicheskiy zhurnal. 2015. no. 3 (19). pp. 81-90. Electronic resource. Available at: http://npsyj.ru/articles/detail.php?article=6403;
- Morosanova V.I. Oprosnik «Stil' samoregulyatsii povedeniya» (SSMP): Rukovodstvo [Behaviour Self-Regulation Style (BSRS): Guide]. Electronic resource. Available at: http://psylab.info
- Usatov I.A. Stressoustoychivost lichnosti kak faktor preodoleniya stressa [Individual stress-resistance as factor of stress coping]. Concept,2016, vol. 2. p. 21–25. [Electronic resource]. Available at: http://e-koncept.ru/2016/46005.htm
- Chumakov M.V. Razvitie emotsionalno-volevoy sfery lichnosti [Development of individual emotional-volitional sphere]. Kurgan: KSU publ., 2012. 143 p.